• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DePaul: The Role of Infectious and Stress-related Onsets in ME and CFS Symptomatology and Functionin

mango

The Role of Infectious and Stress-related Onsets in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Symptomatology and Functioning

Andrew R. Devendorf, DePaul University
Abigail A. Brown, DePaul University
Leonard A. Jason, DePaul University

Faculty Advisor: Leonard Jason

Abstract
This study examined how the mode of onset for myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome (ME and CFS) impacts patients’ presenting symptomatology.

Specifically, this study investigated the differences between the most commonly reported ME and CFS onsets: infectious, stress-related, and a combined infectious and stress-related onset (referred to as ‘combined onset’).

Three patient samples were combined and utilized. All participants met Fukuda et al. (1994) criteria and self-reported their illness onset.

Analyses showed the infectious group reported the most impairment for general health functioning—which relates to the susceptibility of getting or feeling sick—in comparison to the stress-related group.

Meanwhile, both the stress-related and combined groups reported more impairment for mental health functioning than the infectious group.

Lastly, the infectious and combined groups reported worse autonomic and immune symptomatology than the stress group.

These findings illustrate that the mode of onset for ME and CFS could play a factor in a patient’s prognosis. An infectious onset might lead to worse physical and somatic symptoms, while a stress onset might lead to worse psychological functioning.

These findings are consistent with prior research. Future research should continue investigating the differences amongst patients based on illness onset, as well as other factors (e.g., psychiatric co-morbidity).

http://via.library.depaul.edu/depaul-disc/vol5/iss1/6/

barbc56

I need to back this up but there was a study that showed cancer patients feeling anxious/stressed/depressed as far as a year before being diagnosed but it was attributed to the fact that the cancer may have started but not to the point of being diagnosed.

Actually this may be a theory and not an actual study but I think it's as plausible as thinking it's the other way around.

I know I had symptoms that in hindsight that may have have been related long before the "big event" that took me down. My doctor thinks RLS, mine started at age 16, may be indicative of a future diagnosis of Fibromyalgia which I didnt get until forty years later.. But then not everyone who has RLS gets FM or me/cfs which may point to genetic facors.

This could also be true for those with a gradual onset.

Edit I may have misread the OP but what I wrote above still stands. I would think true stress induced me/cfs would be a very very small subset, if at all!

Last edited:

taniaaust1

Why is Jason dabbling in Fukuda and self-reported cases?

And what is this stress-related ME/CFS and psych implications?

I think he's trying to compare the different subgroups of us. This I think is probably a good thing to subgroup and look for different results rather then lumping us all as one. If one wants to compare all the different things coming under the "CFS" label and show not all are the same, one could only do that well by using a poorer definition.

the self reported part was for "illness onset" not diagnoses. No one else except oneself is likely to know when ones illness started.

taniaaust1

Edit I may have misread the OP but what I wrote above still stands. I would think true stress induced me/cfs would be a very very small subset, if at all!

Mine may of been only stress induced at first as I was only crashing when doing major assignments and exams at first which could then end up leaving me stuck in bed for 5-7 days with viral symptoms eg sore throat and high fever. So though it may of been triggering some virus, it was actual stress and too many late nights studying which would end up triggering it.

For the first year of my illness, I wasnt triggered off with physical exercise, only with stress.