• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Dopamine / Methylation

Hope78

Hi!

In 2014 I was tested for neurotransmitters and was very high in dopamine, normal in norepinephrine, normal to high in serotonine and low in epinephrine.

I now repeated the test with nearly the same result: still too much dopa and low in epinephrine.

High dopa is probably due to slow versions of MAO A+B and COMT. Low epinephrine is about being short in methyl groups.

The dilemma: as soon as I try to boost my methylation (SAMe, TMG, methylB12 and so on) my dopamine rises and as it's already elevated I feel agitated with anxiety and very vidid nightmares. A big no because insomnia is one of my main problems.

So any suggestions how I can improve my methylation without further rising dopamine?

Are there any dopamine lowering supplements I am not aware of?

Thank you!

JaimeS

The dilemma: as soon as I try to boost my methylation (SAMe, TMG, methylB12 and so on) my dopamine rises and as it's already elevated I feel agitated with anxiety and very vidid nightmares. A big no because insomnia is one of my main problems.

SAMe would elevate serotonin, and that may well contribute to feelings of anxiety and crazy dreams. A lot of the high serotonin and high dopamine symptoms are similar.

If you are 'very high' in dopamine, you might want to talk to a physician you trust about dopamine-blockers.

If you don't have a physician you can trust, you might want to check out Bacopa monierii -- here is a list of research on its effect on dopamine and on serotonin.

I wouldn't aim for methylation right away... is there a reason that's the type of treatment you're going for?

-J