• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Progressive brain changes in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: A longitudinal MRI study

hixxy

Abstract
Purpose
To examine progressive brain changes associated with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Materials and Methods
We investigated progressive brain changes with longitudinal MRI in 15 CFS and 10 normal controls (NCs) scanned twice 6 years apart on the same 1.5 Tesla (T) scanner. MR images yielded gray matter (GM) volumes, white matter (WM) volumes, and T1- and T2-weighted signal intensities (T1w and T2w). Each participant was characterized with Bell disability scores, and somatic and neurological symptom scores. We tested for differences in longitudinal changes between CFS and NC groups, inter group differences between pooled CFS and pooled NC populations, and correlations between MRI and symptom scores using voxel based morphometry. The analysis methodologies were first optimized using simulated atrophy.

Results
We found a significant decrease in WM volumes in the left inferior fronto-occipital fasciculus (IFOF) in CFS while in NCs it was unchanged (family wise error adjusted cluster level P value, PFWE < 0.05). This longitudinal finding was consolidated by the group comparisons which detected significantly decreased regional WM volumes in adjacent regions (PFWE < 0.05) and decreased GM and blood volumes in contralateral regions (PFWE < 0.05). Moreover, the regional GM and WM volumes and T2w in those areas showed significant correlations with CFS symptom scores (PFWE < 0.05).

Conclusion
The results suggested that CFS is associated with IFOF WM deficits which continue to deteriorate at an abnormal rate. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2016.

*GG*

Results
We found a significant decrease in WM volumes in the left inferior fronto-occipital fasciculus (IFOF) in

Conclusion
The results suggested that CFS is associated with IFOF WM deficits which continue to deteriorate at an abnormal rate. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2016.

Was going to ask what IFOF is, now I see it. WM is white matter?

GG

taniaaust1

I don't think anyone else has posted this yet?

Abstract
Purpose
To examine progressive brain changes associated with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmri.25283/full

Six year study of abnormal brain changes in chronic fatigue syndrome patients
https://meaustralia.net/2016/07/12/...changes-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-patients/

yes this has been already posted, I was one of the participants of this 6 year study. Basically our white brain matter is shrinking faster then it should be and the longer we've been sick, the worst it is.

mermaid

Oh apologies.
I felt sure it must have been and scanned the studies on PR on recent weeks but just realised that the study date was back in April (the other date on the article was very recent so I was fooled and maybe I confirmed the results of the study by not thinking to check the date on the study! My brain is definitely not great and I live with someone whose brain is much sharper than mine though 6 years older).
Sorry - happy to close the thread but I don't know how!

Last edited: