• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood tests to confirm methylation mutation

I have been deteriorating for the last four years and have been unable to heal my gut, suffering from total exhaustion and numerous food I tolerances. I am wondering if methylation made be a problem and plan to do 23 and me testing shortly, but whilst waiting for results, what blood tests could I ask my GP to do to help direct me....I usually have high liver enzymes and over large red blood cells as abnormalities, that GP is unconcerned about. I also take Citalpram, but wonder if there would be a better antidepressant. I live In UK and it would be pointless mentioning MYTHR to doctor as they will know nothing about it!!! Thanks for all your help

Last edited:

Horizon

23&me will uncover many of them if you use a site like genetic genie to decode the info. There is an MTHFR blood test you can get done but I don't see how you can avoid the topic if you request it. Maybe a small print out for the dr to read on the subject.

Thanks Horizon....don't think the NHS know anything about MTHYR, let alone doing blood tests for it!! I really meant any standard blood tests like B 6, B12 etc....

PennyIA

I'd argue that the B6, B12, folate, etc... blood tests aren't always accurate and in fact, may be misleadingly high if you have a methylation issue. BUT... if you did run those and did come out deficient, that might be useful information to have at your GP fingertips. (as in, they'll be more supportive of you wanting to take supplementation - albeit they would probably suggest the 'cheapest' and least likely to help if you have MTHFR... at least, that's exactly what my docs like to do).

JES

I have been deteriorating for the last four years and have been unable to heal my gut, suffering from total exhaustion and numerous food I tolerances. I am wondering if methylation made be a problem and plan to do 23 and me testing shortly, but whilst waiting for results, what blood tests could I ask my GP to do to help direct me....I usually have high liver enzymes and over large red blood cells as abnormalities, that GP is unconcerned about. I also take Citalpram, but wonder if there would be a better antidepressant. I live In UK and it would be pointless mentioning MYTHR to doctor as they will know nothing about it!!! Thanks for all your help

The overly large red blood cells sound like a true concern that should be investigated.

There is very little actual evidence on how the methylation SNPs often mentioned on this forum affect our health, mostly all information comes from one source (Yasko). MTHFR is the only one that at the moment seems to have some evidence, and even that mutation is present in some form in 40% of population, most of which are perfectly healthy. Only a homozygous MTHFR SNP would be of some concern, as that would reduce MTHFR enzyme activity to 30% of the normal. In this case supplementing with active folate might be useful, but you can do that without gene testing as well and see if you improve. There is no harm done from folate supplements as long as it's not folic acid, but the active form.