• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nystatin timing - before or after food?

Thinktank

I've been prescribed nystatin 500.000 IU to be taken 4 times daily.
The information on when to take nystatin is contradictory. Some sources say before and others say after a meal.

Has anyone here taken nystatin? If so, what worked best for you? Before or after a meal?

Kati

Patient in training
In oncology, Nystatin is given for oral yeast overgrowth. We would give it after meals and at bedtime, because you want it to coat the mouth and to remain there for as long as possible.

IF you don't have an oral problem but more of a lower tract yeast overgrowth, you might want to take it on an empty stomach, say 30 minutes before meals.

Ema

I take it on an empty stomach but only twice a day (2x500,000) which makes it easier timing-wise. I don't have oral thrush either (knock wood!)

I've been taking nystatin for about 2 weeks now, originally 500000 units 3 times per day. A few days after starting I started to feel very stressed out and wired and my sleep went to sh1t. Not making the die off connection due to the volume of supplements I'm on i increased the dose and bang I felt terrible. Part of feeling awful is I've felt sick to my stomach for the past 2 days. I am easing back to my starting dose or might stop for a couple of days.
It seems hard on the stomach too I feel nauseous after taking it. Might try it with food for a few days instead of on an empty stomach...

Mel9

I've been taking nystatin for about 2 weeks now, originally 500000 units 3 times per day. A few days after starting I started to feel very stressed out and wired and my sleep went to sh1t. Not making the die off connection due to the volume of supplements I'm on i increased the dose and bang I felt terrible. Part of feeling awful is I've felt sick to my stomach for the past 2 days. I am easing back to my starting dose or might stop for a couple of days.
It seems hard on the stomach too I feel nauseous after taking it. Might try it with food for a few days instead of on an empty stomach...

My doctor advised me to take it immediately after eating

I was told to take it on an empty stomach before meals but it totally goes to my head - I get dizzy and a huge headache. The first dose (one sip of half a teaspoon in a full glass of water) made me pass out. A week later and I'm down to1/8 of a tsp in a glass of water, one sip a day and I still have to fight the urge to faint.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this type of reaction?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have never taken nystatin, but this seems like a rather extreme reaction to have to a med. Have you talked to your dr. about it?

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I was told to take it on an empty stomach before meals but it totally goes to my head - I get dizzy and a huge headache. The first dose (one sip of half a teaspoon in a full glass of water) made me pass out. A week later and I'm down to1/8 of a tsp in a glass of water, one sip a day and I still have to fight the urge to faint.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this type of reaction?

My doc just gave me a prescription for nystatin so your experience has caused me pause.

Sorry, don't want to worry anyone! And thank you for the replies. My doc is away so I can't see him for a fortnight, but things have got better. I took the dosage down to 1/16th of a tsp and manage to have a couple of sips a day. I'm hoping to be able to up it soon. Can't say I've felt any better, or had any kind of Herx ( maybe the dose is still too low) It still sort of goes to my head but the effect is only very temporary now. Maybe I should stop taking it, don't know. Thanks anyway and good luck @ScottTriGuy !

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Sorry, don't want to worry anyone! And thank you for the replies. My doc is away so I can't see him for a fortnight, but things have got better. I took the dosage down to 1/16th of a tsp and manage to have a couple of sips a day. I'm hoping to be able to up it soon. Can't say I've felt any better, or had any kind of Herx ( maybe the dose is still too low) It still sort of goes to my head but the effect is only very temporary now. Maybe I should stop taking it, don't know. Thanks anyway and good luck @ScottTriGuy !

The tablets in the US are standarised at 500,000iu, but if you're taking a similar powder formula to the one Dr. Myhill's page describes, 1/16th of a tsp is the same as one 500,000iu tablet that you can get here in America (http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Nystatin_-_how_to_take_it). I'm pointing this out for the people who might be given pause by your reactions, @Cozi . I'm about to start Nystatin and I was thinking of cutting the tablet because I'm very sensitive, but the fact that Dr. Myhill has her patients shooting for 20 million iu/day (!!) makes me feel more confident about starting at 500,00iu.

helen1

@Thinktank @EMilo
Wondering how things went with you.
I’ve been taking nystatin 1 000 000 for 6 days now. I’m also taking rifaxamin (for SIBO) & the two have slowed me down a fair bit. They can both cause similar side effects & for me it’s been extra fatigue and a lower mood. So far not too horrible (only modestly horrible lol) so I’m continuing. I’m finding cold therapy the only thing that helps with the side effects (cold bath 10-15 mins).
What I’m really wondering is if your yeast overgrowth stayed away or returned. Have you had to stay on a strict low carb diet?

(As an aside to @Hip could you add cold therapy to your PEM buster list? It really helps me with that).

Thinktank

@Thinktank @EMilo
Wondering how things went with you.
I’ve been taking nystatin 1 000 000 for 6 days now. I’m also taking rifaxamin (for SIBO) & the two have slowed me down a fair bit. They can both cause similar side effects & for me it’s been extra fatigue and a lower mood. So far not too horrible (only modestly horrible lol) so I’m continuing. I’m finding cold therapy the only thing that helps with the side effects (cold bath 10-15 mins).
What I’m really wondering is if your yeast overgrowth stayed away or returned. Have you had to stay on a strict low carb diet?

(As an aside to @Hip could you add cold therapy to your PEM buster list? It really helps me with that).

I did not tolerate nystatin because it caused GI pain and the yeast overgrowth was just another misdiagnosis.

Silence

I did not tolerate nystatin because it caused GI pain and the yeast overgrowth was just another misdiagnosis.

Would you mind sharing your experience with the misdiagnosis?

I am suspected of having Yeast overgrowth in my gut too. Symptoms and Testing for me which makes me believe candida is a problem for me--- Chronic daily diarrhea/malabsorption for years, Low CD4, low nk cell function elevated igg/iga, positive elevated complement to candida, High SigA, high Zonulin, stool tests and cultures always comes back positive with Candida albicans, thrush problems along seb derm on face and symptoms getting worse with consumption of starch and sugars.

Was your workup like mine? Did you share similar symptoms