• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Toronto Star: New research unlocking mysteries behind chronic fatigue syndrome

Kati

Patient in training
Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
[QUOTE="Kyla, post: 740308, member: 18732]

And a great article - barring some small sour grapes in the middle from a random psychiatrist ;)[/QUOTE]

Dr Shorter's colleague. Why the journalist was directed to this person is a mystery.

Old Bones

@ScottTriGuy Good job, Scott. Glad to see your hard work is gaining some traction.

I haven't seen the name Harvey Moldovsky for quite a few years. But, my recollection is that he was one of the "good guys" in the field (or at least better) -- quite knowledgeable regarding the sleep disturbances many of us experience. Was I mistaken?

"Dr. Harvey Moldovsky, M.D., University of Toronto Center for Sleep and Chronobiology, The Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada

Moldofsky pioneered work on alpha delta sleep abnormalities in both CFS and FM. The first longitudinal population based study of self reported sleep abnormal in CFS conducted with CDC pointed out self reported sleep abnormalities much more common than healthy controls. He found evidence of a 45 min phase shift in circadian rhythm of sleep in both CFS and FM and data that demonstrated a NK cell number correlate - as cortisol level dropped the natural killer (NK) cell numbers dropped as well."

Kati

Patient in training
@ScottTriGuy Good job, Scott. Glad to see your hard work is gaining some traction.

I haven't seen the name Harvey Moldovsky for quite a few years. But, my recollection is that he was one of the "good guys" in the field (or at least better) -- quite knowledgeable regarding the sleep disturbances many of us experience. Was I mistaken?

"Dr. Harvey Moldovsky, M.D., University of Toronto Center for Sleep and Chronobiology, The Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada

Moldofsky pioneered work on alpha delta sleep abnormalities in both CFS and FM. The first longitudinal population based study of self reported sleep abnormal in CFS conducted with CDC pointed out self reported sleep abnormalities much more common than healthy controls. He found evidence of a 45 min phase shift in circadian rhythm of sleep in both CFS and FM and data that demonstrated a NK cell number correlate - as cortisol level dropped the natural killer (NK) cell numbers dropped as well."
Thanks @Old Bones, good to know.

Hutan

That was a great article. Well done to @ScottTriGuy, you came across really well.

I actually didn't mind Moldovsky's comments about the Cornell research - he raised a question about the validity of the control group that I would be interested to see an answer to. And the way his comments were presented, it didn't undermine the message of the whole piece. It was interesting to see your comment about him @Old Bones.

Maureen Hansen's work has been getting a lot of really useful publicity. Today my sister-in-law, a senior nurse, sent me a link to an article in a New Zealand news service about it. I guess Hansen's very direct comments about the illness being biological have helped to ensure the right spin is put on articles.

Last edited:

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
That's amazing, like you @ScottTriGuy! What did you think of the article compared to your interview with the journalist? Were there any surprises?

I chatted with the reporter for about 45 minutes, so there was a lot more info that could've been included (eg experience with policy advisor, "I hope I get cancer" / access to off-label meds, trauma caused by medical system, etc) - but I understand her challenges with space limitation, other interviews, and that the focus of the article was on Hanson's research.

My big take away, is that we need an investigative report (and independent federal inquiry) into the systemic failures of the research institution (CIHR) and the medical institution. Getting an editor / reporter's commitment to that endeavour and more newspaper space will be a challenge.

It makes me think that in addition to seeking media coverage, we need to create media content: viral videos, live / virtual demonstrations, etc.

shannah

This same article has been picked up by 'Our Windsor' and it seems that it may be a community newspaper. However, unlike 'The Star', comments are open.

This is a perfect opportunity for advocacy and a wonderful chance to begin to build relationships with the Canadian media. We don't get a lot of coverage up here and we desperately need it.

Please, can I ask that whomever is able, post comments, thank the writer and paper for publishing, 'like' or 'tweet' to give the paper some traffic and let them know there are people who are very interested in this article. Hopefully they will be encouraged to cover events in the future.

Here's a link to the article

http://www.ourwindsor.ca/community-...ng-mysteries-behind-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

and a link to Sasha's great article reminding us all of key points to remember when dealing with the press.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads%2Fhow-we-can-hijack-the-media-in-four-easy-lessons.38464%2F

You don't have to be Canadian to comment.

Thanks - much appreciated.

shannah

There are now 2 comments to the article.

The article has managed to gather 1 'like' and the 2 comments have gathered several 'likes'.

There are many Canadians at PR that have been very active in the international community. Might I implore others here to invest a few minutes for your Canadian counterparts?

Links in post directly above this one.

With appreciation!

meadowlark

I'd like to comment on the Windsor piece, but I'm very sick today (head swimming) and so I'm going to need some help with a very elementary question. To register, the W. Star tells me to declare my user name and defines the user name in parenthesis as "email." My email address uses my actual name. But I'd rather my real name didn't appear on my comment. Am I misunderstanding this?

Last edited: