• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

side effects of antivirals / olive leaf ... depression?

ebethc

I have plenty of good reasons to be depressed, but typically I'm not... I have had anxiety problems from time to time, and adrenal problems in general.. The past few days, I've been very depressed after feeling better & better from olive leaf over the course of a few months...

I've read that famvir - valcyte - valtrex can make you feel worse as some point, (not immediately) so I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else on olive leaf, and what you did about it... I don't know if I should push through, or stop taking it... thanks

ahmo

Olive leaf and other anti virals, antibiotics, have created irritability and tendency toward anxiety for me. I use coffee enemas to clear out whatever substances are released. Plus find I tend to need extra minerals. Good luck.:hug:

JES

I get a similar effect from most herbal immune modulators, Astragalus, Reishi, etc. I don't think it's the antiviral effect which triggers depression, but rather the immune stimulating properties which almost all antiviral herbs have. As a result they tend to raise certain pro-inflammatory cytokine levels in the body, such as interferons, which may cause depression (patients given interferon directly as treatment often suffer from depression as side effect).

I would be more surprised though if famvir etc. would cause the same effect, as these pharmaceutical antivirals are more selective and don't come with immune modulating properties unlike most antiviral herbs.

ebethc

Olive leaf and other anti virals, antibiotics, have created irritability and tendency toward anxiety for me. I use coffee enemas to clear out whatever substances are released. Plus find I tend to need extra minerals. Good luck.:hug:

do you think charcoal would work? (to help move out whatever's being released)

ebethc

I get a similar effect from most herbal immune modulators, Astragalus, Reishi, etc. I don't think it's the antiviral effect which triggers depression, but rather the immune stimulating properties which almost all antiviral herbs have. As a result they tend to raise certain pro-inflammatory cytokine levels in the body, such as interferons, which may cause depression (patients given interferon directly as treatment often suffer from depression as side effect).

I would be more surprised though if famvir etc. would cause the same effect, as these pharmaceutical antivirals are more selective and don't come with immune modulating properties unlike most antiviral herbs.

Interesting.... I was afraid of the GI problems & hair loss associated w Famvir, plus I don't have insurance right now. I'm open to trying Famvir when I have insurance

ebethc

do FIR saunas help?

ebethc

Probably. I haven't used them. Others highly recommend.

yeah, hard to answer, but I thought I'd ask anyway in case you've tried it out. :) .. I took some Pycnogenol, which has always been a good antioxidant for me and it really helped... Also, some fish oil & Pantothenic Acid.. Seems to be working. thanks.

Tammy

I'm on several herbal anti-virals............and went through a lot of ups and downs the first 6 months. At one point my depression did seem worse..........but then got better. Be sure to check your Blood Pressure from time to time as Olive leaf can lower it.