• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cross-reactivity between aeroallergens and food allergens

osisposis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482820/

CROSS-REACTIVITY BETWEEN AEROALLERGENS OF FUNGAL ORIGIN AND FOOD ALLERGENS

Respiratory allergy to environmental molds is relatively common, fungi representing a prominent source of aeroallergens[90]. Alternaria alternata is one of the most common molds associated with allergic diseases, and 80% of Alternaria-sensitive patients produce IgE antibodies to Alt a 1, a major allergen with an unique, dimeric beta-barrel structure. Alt a 1 and homologous proteins are characteristic for the Dothideomycetes class of ascomycetes[91].

The Alternaria-spinach syndrome, in which Alt a 1 is mentioned as an involved allergen component (Table (Table3),3), was recently recognized[11]. This cross-reactivity between aeroallergens from fungi imperfecti and allergens from spinach and mushroom Agaricus bisporus as foods is mentioned. In the first report of anaphylaxis to spinach and concomitant oral allergy syndrome to mushrooms, cross-reactivity was suggested to be due to common epitopes[92]. A further study identified the cross-reactive 30 kDa protein, probably the Alt a 1 allergen component, present both in spinach and mushroom extracts[93]. This syndrome is different from another possible association between IgE sensitization to mannitol, naturally present in cultivated mushrooms and pomegranate, and anaphylaxis to this sugar alcohol as a drug excipient[94].

Table 3
].Examples of syndromes due to cross-reactivity between aeroallergens of animal and fungal origin and food allergens[9,11]

In addition, non-fatal anaphylaxis was reported after mycoprotein burger eating, in a young female patient with respiratory IgE-allergy to Alternaria alternata, the edible mycoprotein being produced from the fungus Fusarium venenatum. Cross-reactivity studies revealed that it shares allergenic determinants with Alternaria alternata and Cladosporium herbarum[95]. Sensitization to mold allergens via the respiratory tract and subsequent oral ingestion of cross-reactive fungal proteins may lead to severe food-allergic reactions, such as those caused by Fusarium venenatum acidic ribosomal protein P2 allergen[96]. An unusual case of fatal anaphylaxis was also reported due to heavy mold contamination of a pancake mix with Fusarium, Penicillium, Mucor, and Aspergillus spp, in a teenager allergic to molds[97]. It is also possible that bee products, such as bee pollen supplements, to be contaminated with fungi such as Aspergillus and Cladosporium spp, and may cause severe allergic reactions in patients sensitized to these molds[81

Moreover, yeasts should be considered as possible ingestive allergens in mold-allergic patients. A patient with a clustered respiratory IgE sensitization to fungi (Alternaria alternata, Cladosporium herbarum, Aspergillus fumigatus, and Penicillium notatum) and baker’s yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), developed multiple anaphylactic reactions after ingesting pasta yeast sauces containing cross-reacting fungal allergens[98].

Gingergrrl

This article mentions all of the molds we had in our former rental (alternaria, penicillium, aspergillus etc plus Stacybotrys) and I am now allergic to spinach, mushrooms, yeast and the foods mentioned. I wish there was more info on this or what else I could do.

osisposis

This article mentions all of the molds we had in our former rental (alternaria, penicillium, aspergillus etc plus Stacybotrys) and I am now allergic to spinach, mushrooms, yeast and the foods mentioned. I wish there was more info on this or what else I could do.

have you had specific immunoglobulin testing done? theres sublingal treatment, witch is basicly drops placed under the tounge, sorry, haven't been keeping up with my research so words and thoughts get kind of vaugue to me, yes me too, I couldn't tolerate that treatment tho and I think its likely because of other issues, but what I did do was completely avoid everything I couldn't tolerate eating for many years, than introduced them back one at a time, actually can tolerate a little of some things but not much and still avoid others , sorry, not much help I can give you other than that :(