• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe sleep issues resolved with resistant cornstarch

natasa778

I have been reading personal reports on cornstarch before bedtime being very beneficial for some people with sleep disorders, even in extreme cases.

This presumably is to do with cornstarch being super slow to digest and metabolise and so helping nighttime dips in blood sugar. Saying that while some reports are by people with obvious and diagnosed metabolic issues, including diabetes, some individuals with no known/identified metabolic issues are also reporting massive improvements in duration and quality of sleep.

This apparently works only if cornstarch is uncooked and mixed in cold liquid, water or yogurt etc. The amounts people take vary from 2 teaspoons to 3 or more heaped tablespoons.

Wondering if anyone here has tried this or any alternatives such as tapoica or potato starch? The jury is still out on whether those would have any effects so interested in any feedback...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Wondering if anyone here has tried this or any alternatives such as tapoica or potato starch?
Corn starch is a resistant starch. There is a super-long thread on this. Many people experimented with potato starch and other resistant starches with varying results. You can find the thread here.

Old Bones

I have been reading personal reports on cornstarch before bedtime being very beneficial for some people with sleep disorders, even in extreme cases.

@natasa778 I haven't tried cornstarch before bedtime. But, the most effective food (if you can call it that) for helping me to sleep is Cheetos. We generally eat "clean". However, a few months ago we indulged our craving for this favourite snack from our childhoods. Both of us had the most solid sleep for as long as we could remember. My sleep still wasn't refreshing, but it was a welcome change -- being unconscious for the entire night. Since then, we've tested what we now refer to as the "Cheetos Effect" several times with consistent success. Here are the ingredients:
  • Enriched corn meal (corn meal, ferrous sulfate, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid)
  • Vegetable oil (corn, canola, and/or sunflower)
  • Cheese seasoning (whey, cheddar cheese [milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes], canola oil, maltodextrin [made from corn], salt, whey protein concentrate, monosodium glutamate, natural and artificial flavors, lactic acid, citric acid, artificial color [yellow 6])
  • Salt
Definitely not a health food! I've tried corn on the cob (a lesser sleep effect, and made my hands go numb) and homemade corn tortillas (somewhat effective, but caused heart burn). There's definitely something unique about the combination of corn meal and lots of fat. Although, I have wondered if the cooled, deep-fried corn meal forms a type of resistant starch as mentioned by @Sushi .

Kati

Patient in training
@natasa778 I haven't tried cornstarch before bedtime. But, the most effective food (if you can call it that) for helping me to sleep is Cheetos. We generally eat "clean". However, a few months ago we indulged our craving for this favourite snack from our childhoods. Both of us had the most solid sleep for as long as we could remember. My sleep still wasn't refreshing, but it was a welcome change -- being unconscious for the entire night. Since then, we've tested what we now refer to as the "Cheetos Effect" several times with consistent success. Here are the ingredients:
  • Enriched corn meal (corn meal, ferrous sulfate, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid)
  • Vegetable oil (corn, canola, and/or sunflower)
  • Cheese seasoning (whey, cheddar cheese [milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes], canola oil, maltodextrin [made from corn], salt, whey protein concentrate, monosodium glutamate, natural and artificial flavors, lactic acid, citric acid, artificial color [yellow 6])
  • Salt
Definitely not a health food! I've tried corn on the cob (a lesser sleep effect, and made my hands go numb) and homemade corn tortillas (somewhat effective, but caused heart burn). There's definitely something unique about the combination of corn meal and lots of fat. Although, I have wondered if the cooled, deep-fried corn meal forms a type of resistant starch as mentioned by @Sushi .
Go Cheetos! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D:D

Its possible those benefitting from cornstarch and corn foods could benefit from seeking out hi-maize products - hi maize being a synthetically engineered resistant starch. Its also possible that the corn supply is truly homogenous and hi-maize corn makes its way into the food system with regular field corn - thus why regular cornstarch or processed corn foods might work for people who would benefit from resistant starch.

That said, i've experimented widely with RS1, RS2, RS3, and even some RS4 foods and supplements and didn't get much sleepwise besides more vivid and prolonged dreams - with my baseline being very mundane and non-fantasical dreams with a generally low percentage of REM sleep.

MikeJackmin

I eat a large bowl of cheerios with rice milk about 2 1/2 hours before bedtime. I believe it is of considerable help.

barbc56

cornstarch before bedtime being very beneficial for some people with sleep disorders, even in extreme cases

Are you referring to all sleep disorders or specifically to insomnia? I have sleep apnea but it's a structural issue..

I love tapioca!

Thanks.