• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Homeless & need a place to crash while... [San Diego/Southern California]

Hey everyone ^^

I've recently come back to The US after living internationally for over a decade.

I had a friend who agreed to help put me up for a month while I found a van to live out of.
He kicked me out after only a few days and now I'm on the streets of San Diego.

Is there anyone out there in Southern California that may be able to put me up for a few weeks or a month while I locate a van to live out of?

Thank you so much to everyone and anyone who can give any thoughts to this thread

Best Wishes :)

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@enginewitty, I'm sorry to hear that you're living on the streets.

I have a suggestion to help you on this forum: Edit your thread title to include your location, San Diego/Southern California. If you can't figure out how to edit it yourself, you can ask a moderator to help by clicking "Report" on your own post and asking for some editing help.

I wish you the best of luck.

taniaaust1

I liked your post as it is i think a great way to try to help yourself for a short time. I hope you find the safe temporary place you are looking for

You could also try the couchsurfing website though its for travellers https://www.couchsurfing.com/ , maybe you could find someone there willing to help you out for a short time till you have your van. (I dont know if it allows a person to find others in same city as where currently living so you could put where you came from overseas in your profile and then go from there to look for people in your current location to stay with)

Last edited:
@enginewitty, I'm sorry to hear that you're living on the streets.

I have a suggestion to help you on this forum: Edit your thread title to include your location, San Diego/Southern California. If you can't figure out how to edit it yourself, you can ask a moderator to help by clicking "Report" on your own post and asking for some editing help.

I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you :)
this is a good suggestion ;)

I liked your post as it is i think a great way to try to help yourself for a short time. I hope you find the safe temporary place you are looking for

You could also try the couchsurfing website though its for travellers https://www.couchsurfing.com/ , maybe you could find someone there willing to help you out for a short time till you have your van. (I dont know if it allows a person to find others in same city as where currently living so you could put where you came from overseas in your profile and then go from there to look for people in your current location to stay with)
haha this a good suggestion too ^^
Thanks guys :)

Jennifer J

Hi, Everyone.

In case anyone could and would consider helping, I've met and spent some time with Andy since he's been here homeless in San Diego. I live in a building that doesn't allow guest so I can't have him stay with me:(and don't know people that can help since I'm mainly housebound.
I want to vouch for Andy. He's a motivated, kind, intelligent, considerate, helpful human being and a person of integrity. (You can tell by reading his posts.) He's pleasant and very nice to be around. He has a sense of humor, too.:)

Is there anyone out there in Southern California that may be able to put me up for a few weeks or a month while I locate a van to live out of?

Anyways, if anyone here in San Diego can do anything for him, especially regarding this pink highlight, you won't regret it.

Thank you for your consideration.

Groggy Doggy

Hi, Everyone.

In case anyone could and would consider helping, I've met and spent some time with Andy since he's been here homeless in San Diego. I live in a building that doesn't allow guest so I can't have him stay with me:(and don't know people that can help since I'm mainly housebound.
I want to vouch for Andy. He's a motivated, kind, intelligent, considerate, helpful human being and a person of integrity. (You can tell by reading his posts.) He's pleasant and very nice to be around. He has a sense of humor, too.:)

Anyways, if anyone here in San Diego can do anything for him, especially regarding this pink highlight, you won't regret it.

I did a quick internet search and found an organization that helps the homeless in San Diego.

http://my.neighbor.org/contact-us/corporate-office/

619-446-2100
3350 E Street
San Diego, CA 92102

Jennifer J

@Groggy Doggy, thank you. We've called the places. Homelessness and resources here in San Diego aren't what they appear to be or as they are written up. There is over 9,000 homeless the last I knew and only a small fraction of that for beds... I can't say more now about all that's involved, not enough spoons. Thank you though for checking the internet out. Reeeeally hoping a person with a home can come through temporarily in some way.

Gingergrrl

Am not in San Diego and don't have a permanent place to stay myself until mid July but wish I could help!

Although I know this is probably obvious, CA is probably the most expensive place to live (short of NY city or Hawaii) in the country and wondering, Andy, if you can broaden your search b/c there might be someone on PR in another area or state who could help.

I also think there would be more resources since CA has such a massive housing crisis and huge number of homeless people. Best wishes to you.

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.

amazing peace & hospitality organization.
people welcome visitors into their homes from all around the world.
I did this many years ago, don't know how it operates these days:

http://www.servas.org/

designed for international visitors, but plenty of servas hosts will welcome people from their own country if you ask nicely. this is the US site

http://www.usservas.org/

communities in california that accept visitors:

http://www.ic.org/directory/listings/?cmty-country=United States&cmty-state=California&open_to_visitors=Yes

there are 193 on the list, this is just page one. cooperative housing, communes, retreat centers, co-housing, eco-villages, etc. you probably have to contact a bunch before finding one that might work out.

you could try calling the catholic workers in san diego, many catholic worker programs are wonderful (you don't need to be catholic). they are dedicated to helping homeless people:

619-298-3755

other places if you haven't already tried

• Rotational Shelter Program: 1880 Third Ave, Suite 12; (619) 702-5399; Sept.-May; meals
    • Casa Nueva Vida: 1124 Bay Blvd, Suite D, Chula Vista
    • Paul Mirable Center: St. Vincent de Paul Village; 1501 Imperial Ave; single adult short-term transitional housing; sign-up 7 a.m .for that night; referral by case management agency required, unless signed up at Neil Good Day Center at 299 Seventeenth St; also family program, by referral
    • St Francis Center: 328 Vista Village Dr; (760) 631-4792; call for appointment
    • Carlton Luhman Center: (888) 862-8440; Accepts families, couples, single females, single males, and their children.
    • Salvation Army: 726 F St; (619) 231-6030; families can be referred by agency or walk-in; Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
    • Catholic Charities: 349 Cedar St; (619) 231-2828; Walk-in 8 a.m. or 1 p.m. on Mon. Wed. & Fri.; Individuals may call to schedule appointment with a case manager.
    • The Presbyterian Crisis Center: 2459 Market Street; call for more information or to schedule appointment with a case manager; 619.232.2753
    • The Storefront: day center and overnight shelter for ages 12-17; showers & meals 1-866-PLACE-2-STAY. www.sdycs.org

______

this org looks pretty great. lots of different housing programs and transitional housing, housing for people with disabilities, etc.

http://my.neighbor.org/how-we-help/

Last edited:
Hi, Everyone.

Thank you for the words Jennifer :)

You're too kind m(_ _)m

Thank you for all the help you've given me. It renews my belief that there are genuinely good people in the world :)

thanks bud.
like Jennifer said, there's not enough for everyone. I am literally appalled by how bad the homeless situation is here.
it's further compounded by the fact that people with "normal" lives and a sufficient income for basic necessities just live along side as normal and the police here seem to spend more time harassing and ignoring them then helping.

I think I'm gonna get out of here asap. It's not a healthy environment for, just about anyone from what I've seen. Although the people in Coronado are pretty much quarantined from this.. I would rather live in a more peaceful, safe and humane environment.

At this point I'm just looking for safe, quiet places to sleep.

On that note, I suppose I should say now that a few days ago I bought my first van! :D

It's by no means in stellar condition, and it needs some fairly serious maintenance, but it is running, it lets me travel around and keeps me much safer now :)

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. Even though I was needing to find some peace of mind and relaxation so much that I wasn't able to check back until now ^^
Thank you all for your kindness and suggestions, even if I didn't read them until today, I have no doubt that the helpful and kind vibes you all sent forth played a part in me actualizing the purchase of my van and finding a safe and regular place to stay... and a way to move forward more easily :)

Thank you all m(_ _)m

Am not in San Diego and don't have a permanent place to stay myself until mid July but wish I could help!

Although I know this is probably obvious, CA is probably the most expensive place to live (short of NY city or Hawaii) in the country and wondering, Andy, if you can broaden your search b/c there might be someone on PR in another area or state who could help.

I also think there would be more resources since CA has such a massive housing crisis and huge number of homeless people. Best wishes to you.
Thank you Ginger :)

Groggy Doggy

thanks bud.
like Jennifer said, there's not enough for everyone. I am literally appalled by how bad the homeless situation is here.
it's further compounded by the fact that people with "normal" lives and a sufficient income for basic necessities just live along side as normal and the police here seem to spend more time harassing and ignoring them then helping.

I think I'm gonna get out of here asap. It's not a healthy environment for, just about anyone from what I've seen. Although the people in Coronado are pretty much quarantined from this.. I would rather live in a more peaceful, safe and humane environment.

At this point I'm just looking for safe, quiet places to sleep.
did you get a chance to look for a van yet?

amazing peace & hospitality organization.
people welcome visitors into their homes from all around the world.
I did this many years ago, don't know how it operates these days:

http://www.servas.org/

designed for international visitors, but plenty of servas hosts will welcome people from their own country if you ask nicely. this is the US site

http://www.usservas.org/

communities in california that accept visitors:

http://www.ic.org/directory/listings/?cmty-country=United States&cmty-state=California&open_to_visitors=Yes

there are 193 on the list, this is just page one. cooperative housing, communes, retreat centers, co-housing, eco-villages, etc. you probably have to contact a bunch before finding one that might work out.

you could try calling the catholic workers in san diego, many catholic worker programs are wonderful (you don't need to be catholic). they are dedicated to helping homeless people:

619-298-3755

other places if you haven't already tried

• Rotational Shelter Program: 1880 Third Ave, Suite 12; (619) 702-5399; Sept.-May; meals
    • Casa Nueva Vida: 1124 Bay Blvd, Suite D, Chula Vista
    • Paul Mirable Center: St. Vincent de Paul Village; 1501 Imperial Ave; single adult short-term transitional housing; sign-up 7 a.m .for that night; referral by case management agency required, unless signed up at Neil Good Day Center at 299 Seventeenth St; also family program, by referral
    • St Francis Center: 328 Vista Village Dr; (760) 631-4792; call for appointment
    • Carlton Luhman Center: (888) 862-8440; Accepts families, couples, single females, single males, and their children.
    • Salvation Army: 726 F St; (619) 231-6030; families can be referred by agency or walk-in; Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
    • Catholic Charities: 349 Cedar St; (619) 231-2828; Walk-in 8 a.m. or 1 p.m. on Mon. Wed. & Fri.; Individuals may call to schedule appointment with a case manager.
    • The Presbyterian Crisis Center: 2459 Market Street; call for more information or to schedule appointment with a case manager; 619.232.2753
    • The Storefront: day center and overnight shelter for ages 12-17; showers & meals 1-866-PLACE-2-STAY. www.sdycs.org

______

this org looks pretty great. lots of different housing programs and transitional housing, housing for people with disabilities, etc.

http://my.neighbor.org/how-we-help/

Were you/are you a researcher?? if not, you should be! you should be getting paid for this KitCat :D
Either you're nice than most to the Nth degree and/or you're seriously good at finding information ;)

Thank you for all these resources ^^
I have a van now but will note your post for further reference. very valuable stuff :)