• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where to get SIBO testing in Canada?

I tested positive for SIBO when I was at the OMI in California, just finished my course of antibiotics, and will need to be tested once again to ensure that the treatment worked. I was told that I could get a mailaway kit from the NCNM Clinic in Portland, but when I contacted them, they said that they can't ship to Canada because lactulose gets stopped at the border.

Does anyone have any tips? My doctor said that glucose should be okay too, but I'm not having much luck finding access to that either. Ideally I'd like to track down a lab that could send me a kit. My impression is that this testing is available in Canada, but is pretty uncommon and requires you to be under the care of a gastroenterologist. I guess I could try to get my GP to write me a referral to a gastroenterologist , but that will probably take months and lead to a deadend regardless, since I don't actually have "obvious" signs of gastrointestinal distress and I doubt that they would write me a req.

Old Bones

My impression is that this testing is available in Canada, but is pretty uncommon and requires you to be under the care of a gastroenterologist. I guess I could try to get my GP to write me a referral to a gastroenterologist , but that will probably take months and lead to a deadend regardless, since I don't actually have "obvious" signs of gastrointestinal distress and I doubt that they would write me a req.

@wherearemypillows My GP looked into SIBO testing for me. Not only do you have to be under the care of a gastroenterologist, it seems you also have to be a child to qualify for SIBO testing in Alberta. Why, I have no idea.

@Old Bones Argh!!!!! Thank you very much for your information though. I just contacted the lab that does the testing in my city to see if they can do it if I paid myself out-of-pocket... of course, the answer was no.

@helen1 I reverified with the centre in Oregon and they said they stopped sending them out 6 months ago, unfortunately. After spending a couple hours looking around at different options, it looks like your doctor is one of the only places that offers it for Canadians. I went ahead and ordered a kit from them. Thanks so much for mentioning your experience. For anyone else that might be reading, here's a link to the place I ordered through http://sibotesting.com/contact-us/

Relieved that I'll be having the testing done without traveling back to the US, but boy—what a wild goose chase this afternoon has been :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: