• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal Glandular

Can anyone suggest a good Adrenal Glandular. Something not too stimulating - I don't want Rhodiola or adaptogens - just the glandulars and maybe Vits c, pantethese, etc. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Can anyone suggest a good Adrenal Glandular. Something mild. Thanks.

I've used all of these at various times and they were all good: Drenatrophin PMG and Drenamin, by Standard Process; Adrenogen by Metagenics; and Cytozyme AD by Biotics.

When I first took an adrenal glandular, I had to take roughly 3 times the recommended dose because my adrenals were so weak (Drenatrophin PMG) - but within a couple of days my energy started to come back.

I use dessicated adrenal by Standard Process which doesn't have anything else.

I have read that you can't use any adrenal glandular more than 5 days, and should keep the dose low, or your adrenals could stop working on their own.

I use dessicated adrenal by Standard Process which doesn't have anything else.

I have read that you can't use any adrenal glandular more than 5 days, and should keep the dose low, or your adrenals could stop working on their own.

Do you mean 5 days total, or take for five days then take a few days break then start again??

Do you mean 5 days total, or take for five days then take a few days break then start again??

I'm trusting an article I read. Also, I am sensitive to supplements, so a little has a big effect on me. Take at low dose for 5 days, break 25 days, and repeat. Sorry I don't have the article.

It seems like many people take it regularly and are fine, but I was too scared because of the article.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
I used Dr. Wilson's Original Formulations Adrenal Rebuilder when I tapered off of corticosteroids (that I had been on for 8 years.) No complaints. I read Dr. Wilson's book first and recommend that as well. Steroids are not something to play around with. Research this well.

poohsilk

Never gives up
I took Enzymatics Adrenal Stress End which is adrenal cortex(ACE) for about 6 years but have switched to plain adrenal Cortex by Thorne for no reason other than I was cutting out B6 and Thorne seemed like a good company. Whole adrenal gland, versus just the cortex, will give you adrenally surges which you may not want and may cause more of that dependency mentioned above. When I first went on ACE I tried to stop it every now and then but was in such bad shape I would fall apart and could handle anything.

Ninan

I tried Cortrex from Thorne and just felt very bad. Then AdrenaWhole from Holistic (no cortex) but even small amounts make me too speedy. I suspect it might be the adrenaline I react to. Now trying ashgawanda but I really would like to raise my cortisol levels, they are quite low, especially in the morning. And I desperately need something for energy since my baseline is vegetable. Is there a bioidentical cortisol, without the other hormones?

I tried Cortrex from Thorne and just felt very bad. Then AdrenaWhole from Holistic (no cortex) but even small amounts make me too speedy. I suspect it might be the adrenaline I react to. Now trying ashgawanda but I really would like to raise my cortisol levels, they are quite low, especially in the morning. And I desperately need something for energy since my baseline is vegetable. Is there a bioidentical cortisol, without the other hormones?

I've been trying a few different things that raise cortisol naturally. Ribes Nigrum seems to be helping a lot and I just purchased Rehmennia 6 which is also known to raise cortisol. You might want to try them.

poohsilk

Never gives up
Interesting Catjbro. I will have to research those. It seems the whole world is getting more fatigue (or anxiety) and I am often making recommendations to non-cfs, no-diagnosis, "normal people" regarding vitamins, b-12, thyroid, adrenals, lyme...

poohsilk

Never gives up
I've been trying a few different things that raise cortisol naturally. Ribes Nigrum seems to be helping a lot and I just purchased Rehmennia 6 which is also known to raise cortisol. You might want to try them.
Ninan, Did you have the 24 hour saliva adrenal test?

Have you tried pregnenolone??? It is a hormone that is the precursor to everything else. It can convert to DHEA, cortisol, progesterone, etc -whatever is low. Might be worth a try but start low and work up slowly.

Ninan

Have you tried pregnenolone??? It is a hormone that is the precursor to everything else. It can convert to DHEA, cortisol, progesterone, etc -whatever is low. Might be worth a try but start low and work up slowly.
Nope. I have problems with estrogen so I'm a bit scared pregnenolone would make it worse.

Ninan

Are they stimulating?

bertiedog

Thorne adrenal cortex has no adrenaline in it at all so it cannot be an adrenaline reaction that you experienced. Maybe there is an ingredient in it that doesn't suit you? Glandulars with the medulla and cortex can contain adrenaline, they used to give me a panic attack within an hour of taking them. Horrible.

Pam

bertiedog

It can convert to DHEA, cortisol, progesterone, etc -whatever is low. Might be worth a try but start low and work up slowly.

This is the problem with pregnenelone as for some of us there is a problem with the pathways and you get way too much of something you don't need. I had this and still don't convert properly from progesterone to cortisol so I have to take a steroid for adrenal support and have been since 2003. It made a massive difference to my energy and I was also able to take the thyroid hormone I needed because I have Hashimotos too.

I was mercury poisoned and wondered if this messed up my HPA axis.

Pam

Ninan

This is the problem with pregnenelone as for some of us there is a problem with the pathways and you get way too much of something you don't need. I had this and still don't convert properly from progesterone to cortisol so I have to take a steroid for adrenal support and have been since 2003. It made a massive difference to my energy and I was also able to take the thyroid hormone I needed because I have Hashimotos too.

I was mercury poisoned and wondered if this messed up my HPA axis.

Pam
Nice to hear that someone was helped. Are you taking hydrocortisone?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Can anyone suggest a good Adrenal Glandular. Something not too stimulating - I don't want Rhodiola or adaptogens - just the glandulars and maybe Vits c, pantethese, etc. Thanks.

I've used 2 by Standard Process: Drenamin PMG and Drenatrophin, both are good. When I first took them years ago, I had to take a high dose, about 9 pills a day but it helped a lot. I've taken it off and on ever since, as needed. Right now am on a low dose of 1 or 2 a day.

Two other good products are Cytozyme AD by Biotics and Adrenogen by Metagenics, I found them comparable to the Standard process products.

Pantothenic acid is also important for the adrenals. I take 500 mg. pantothenic acid in addition to a B complex, though now take it every other day.