• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where to find people for moving at bay?

Hello,

Thinking about idea to move to bay area to find calm while having CFS.

Becouse of living in small country i didnt find much similar people around.

Idea is to move partly to bay area with someone with similar problems.

What do you think? Where can i find people looking for the same?

I am now at Rhodos island. Was here with my friend and it was great.

But looking for more ...

What do you think? I think i am not the first one with cfs who thinking the same way.

Ideas?

Thank you

I lived in the bay area for many years, but would never want to live there again with this illness unless it was to be in a rural area of the north bay.

While the weather is very pleasant, the bay area has ghastly rental prices, dreadful traffic, and that intangible "fast paced" life that is tough to keep up with in a chronically ill state.

To answer your question though, I would try to find amicable people to sublet with unless you are already wealthy. Try the community boards here.

I would look to moving to the Napa or Santa Rosa areas if being in or close to the bay area is important to you. Housing prices are cheaper, the weather is just as good, the lifestyle is less hectic, and you're still close to SF and Oakland.

Misfit Toy

Hi there....so, I did this very thing because I went to San Francisco for medical treatment and fell in love with it. BUT...it was lovely and horrible all in one. It's too expensive, even with a roommate...even with 4 roommates. This was back in 2001 when it was cheaper. I had 4 roommates and my rent was $765..it was a deal. I then went and had one roommate....$1,000 and that included nothing. It's foggy, you rarely see the sun, it's a weather climate that is bizarre to say the least. I would move South. I loved Santa Cruz and the drive was superb. I also loved Petaluma and Sonoma, but hot as holy hell. California is for the rich. If you are cashed up, go for it. If you are not, don't. Plus, roommates are tricky. I have been thinking of doing the whole roommate thing, but it's not easy.

Craigslist is where I found roommates out there but I never found anyone with CFS. No ads saying, "Have CFS." But, you could put an ad on there and give it a shot.

I had a really hard time from January to May...it rained the entire time in San Fran.

I looked for housing over in Berklee and it was just as expensive. Gosh, so beautiful though. Such beautiful country.

Good luck!

Thanks for your ideas. But I am from Europe and dont even think of moving to USA.

My preferable location wouldbe something like Crete or Las palmas.

That is not more expensive than living in Prague. In Greece it is probably even cheaper.

The question is how to fing people with similar condition as mine in Europe?

I know that the best relationships longtermly i have with similar persons.

But there too few of these people and if looking for even girl similar age etc. It is almost imposible

What you think? :)