• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please see ERV Blog 23rd March March 2010 and respond.

Hope123

As for attacks on Whittemores and WPI is best handled by them. Honestly, it is their issue, not ours. They are big girls and boys, they can handle it. Now, contacting this young lady's bosses to complain of unprofessional conduct might be a good thing.

Tina

Yup, I wouldn't pay any attention but if people really want to respond, send a snail mail to her research adviser or department chair! And quote from her blog! Andrea should send her a personal letter ---- that might shock her out of her apathy that words hurt real people. Caveat is do we really know this person is the true blogger or someone else using her as a cover?

R

Robin

Woah! She's...unfortunate looking.

From Facebook:
Andrea Whittemore-Goad said:
Please do not friend me or tell me you support the WPI and then come on my page and try to discredit our group. this is for advocacy and keeping up to date friends who want to make a difference if your not a friend then get off my page please. I dont have the energy or the health to deal with mean people. thank you

Did erv do this?

fred

The game is afoot
Did erv do this?

No, I think this refers to someone else who has a bee in their bonnet about the WPI not looking for XMRV in the organs and tissues of dead people. Apparently, only looking for XMRV in fresh blood is playing into the hands of big pharma. This is probably making more sense of the argument than it actually deserves.

JAS

I think you were right....ERV is off on a rant! She is very quick to judge others when the person she really needs to look at judging is herself.

fred

The game is afoot
I have received several emails from the President's Action Line at the University of Oklahama in response to my complaint about ERV's blogsite.

For those who also wish to write, the email address is actionline@ou.edu

You many also wish to send a message to (Ms) Chris Purcell, the University Secretary and VC for Governance at regentspurcell@ou.ed

I believe that ERV has surpassed her own previous heights of ignorance and rudeness recently and has refered to those who challenge her as 'mentally handicapped'. I cannot vouch for this personally as I have chosen not to read her drivel.

M

monkeybusiness

supERVisor

Any clues who ERV's PhD supervisor is? Whoever it is, they ought to know about her blog.

JAS

Hi Fred, thank you for your info.....she was asking if we were 'mentally handicapped!'...nice! I have written an email to the actionline@ou.edu. address, I did cc it to Chris Purcell at the regentspurcell email and it shot it back...did this address work for you? Please would it be possible to check it?

fred

The game is afoot
Hi Fred, thank you for your info.....she was asking if we were 'mentally handicapped!'...nice! I have written an email to the actionline@ou.edu. address, I did cc it to Chris Purcell at the regentspurcell email and it shot it back...did this address work for you? Please would it be possible to check it?

Apologies for the delayed reply. It has taken 13 light years to log back in to this forum. It does not seem to co-exist with an open Facebook site.

The address should have a 'u' on the end regentspurcell@ou.edu.

My brain cell also apologises unreservedly.

G

Gerwyn

judy m is a mother substitute and ERV is transferring her rage against her real mother(possibly another competent professional) on to her

fred

The game is afoot
And Andrea is the substitute sister of whom she is jealous - because Mom gives the sick sister all her attention?

Perhaps ERV should be refered for CBT.

justinreilly

I have received several emails from the President's Action Line at the University of Oklahama in response to my complaint about ERV's blogsite.

For those who also wish to write, the email address is actionline@ou.edu

You many also wish to send a message to (Ms) Chris Purcell, the University Secretary and VC for Governance at regentspurcell@ou.ed

I believe that ERV has surpassed her own previous heights of ignorance and rudeness recently and has refered to those who challenge her as 'mentally handicapped'. I cannot vouch for this personally as I have chosen not to read her drivel.

a post from erv:

#129 This is a flat out, 100% serious question to the ME Mafia: Are you people mentally handicapped?

Do you honestly think this or this or this or this excuses Judy Mikovits presenting at an anti-vaccination rally?

Do you understand the criticism being leveled on Judy Mikovits, or do you just see someone criticizing your Messiah, and "DISSENT MUST BE ATTACKED!"?

Because people who are just plain stupid are different than people who are medically mentally handicapped, and I will deal with this issue differently depending on the answer.

Posted by: ERV | April 2, 2010 7:57 AM
[emphasis added]

Psych - O!

fred

The game is afoot
And then perhaps some graded exercise. Involving a steam roller.

usedtobeperkytina

If I were to make a recommendation, I would suggest any complaints not address the controversy as to cause of CFS. Although we see lots of evidence of non-psychological cause, just remember the scientific community, including this lady's bosses or professors, may either be unsure or actually believe it is psychological.

In other words, from the world's perspective, it is still up to debate. So anyone promoting their view is perfectly fine.

But, it should be done in a professional manner, without personal attacks and without obscenities. If she wants to be taken seriously as a scientist, then the rhetoric needs to focus on reasoning and logic, or she will lose credibility.

Oh, and by the same token, while we are not professionals and speaking with some expertise or authority, same advice needs to be applied to our own discussions, if we want others to listen to us with an open mind.

But someone who is promoting themselves or others promote as an expert or a professional with expertise, hurts their own credibility when the rhetoric reflects more of the Rush Limbaugh style. And if there is an issue there for this lady, then that is what should be addressed in complaints to her superiors or her professors.

JMHO

Tina

fred

The game is afoot
Apologies - but my fogginess precludes a clear understanding of your point. Are you saying that people should not be challenging the science of the blog but just the style? If this is so, I personally would concur - although, surely, the content of any communication with the University must be decided by the person who writes it.

G

Gerwyn

Apologies - but my fogginess precludes a clear understanding of your point. Are you saying that people should not be challenging the science of the blog but just the style? If this is so, I personally would concur - although, surely, the content of any communication with the University must be decided by the person who writes it.

there aint no science in it either a herv does not even begin to explain the multiplicity of symptoms

R

Robin

ERV is inconsequential; the research will be decided by the forthcoming studies, not her. She's not involved in any of them, she's a graduate student, and a blogger. She's about as important as a flea.

Her little blog has barely any comments on the non-CFS posts. Page views and comments are like crack for bloggers. Let's stop visiting and cut off her crack!

Oh, and by the same token, while we are not professionals and speaking with some expertise or authority, same advice needs to be applied to our own discussions, if we want others to listen to us with an open mind.

So I guess I shouldn't swipe ERV's picture and draw crazy eyes on it?

JAS

I am not remotely worried or offended if she questions the science, it is the tantrums and utter drivel that goes with it which is personal and vindictive. She does have to learn that old important lesson... 'what goes round comes round'. Thanks Fred for the 'u' :)X

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Hi Tina,

Although we see lots of evidence of non-psychological cause,

...and absolutely ZERO valid scientific evidence of a psychological cause..

just remember the scientific community, including this lady's bosses or professors, may either be unsure or actually believe it is psychological.

Totally unscientifically, if they do. And, to my understanding, even ERV is not saying the cause is psychological, is she? (Not sure; I've only read a couple of her posts.) I thought her only problem was with the Mikovits et al and the XMRV hypothesis.

In other words, from the world's perspective, it is still up to debate. So anyone promoting their view is perfectly fine.

It is our job to change the world's perspective, if it is screwed up, and counter the promotion of views that negatively impact our lives (not theirs, of course..). However, I agree with Robin that ERV is not worthy of our attention, at least not via giving her Google or blog hits. There was at least one thread here that provided ample explanation of the kind of organization Science Blogs is, and how they likely provide incentives for bloggers based on the controversy - and therefore hits - they generate.