• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please see ERV Blog 23rd March March 2010 and respond.

JAS

The WPI and inidividuals are being discussed on the following blog...it is ERV who I am sure many of you have heard of before. Normally I would say ignore these, these people crave attention, and giving it fuels their fire. But in this case Dr Mikovits and Andrea in particular are being discussed and particularly slated and I do think in this instance we all ought to give our side of the opinion on there. I am sure Andrea and the WPI greatly appreciate our support on these forums but perhaps we need to go further afield with our support on this one. For all those who have not had a look at this blog please go and have a look and add your comments ....though I warn you to have your blood pressure tablets handy as they may be needed! Thank you x

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2010/03/xmrv_and_chronic_fatigue_syndr_11.php

Adam

I understand your anger JAS. But personally I have chosen to ignore ERV. It's a tough one, especially when it involves personal attacks on sick people and their families, however I have turned my back on the haters. They do need their fuel for their fire. They also need oxygen.

The firemans triangle - Remove the oxygen and you have a vacuum and the fire goes out. I am not providing any more oxygen.

Neither am I prepared to improve her Google rating.

JAS

Hi Adam and Kackered, I completely agree in that these people want attention and by giving them attention they become more 'important' and I have steered clear so far. I just think that this got a bit personal though and they are rough on the Whittemore family and Dr Mikovits in particular. It is not very attractive to read. Dr Mikovits and the WPI are running the UK study and supporting us here in the UK...I will just wanted to give something back. I have posted a comment. Thanks for looking at it though. jx

K

Knackered

Do you think the people at the WPI care about this insignificant person on the internet?
Just ignore her and stop reading her blog, the more people post her links on here the higher her page gets ranked.

She's not being serious, she's trying to get attention and it's working.

R

Robin

These are people who are happy to snark about sickness and suffering. I wouldn't engage with that type of person in my real life, nor will I in a blog comments section.

Nina

Do you think the people at the WPI care about this insignificant person on the internet?

In fact they do, Andrea was very upset when she read this.

But I totally agree the best way to deal with her is to ignore her. I think the more we comment, the more she will go to extremes to trash our community. I mean, who is this girl? We really shouldn't care. In the bigger picture, she plays no part whatsoever.

We can show our support for WPI in a million ways, this is not the best one imho.

flex

The only way to address this person is to find out who she is, by pass her blog, and go straight to her university and report her utter disrespect of the scientific community, her attitudes towards the sick and her appalling use of language.

fred

The game is afoot
Does 'Abbie Smith' give any indication of her university - if, indeed, she is actually at one?

K

Knackered

creekfeet

Sockfeet
I saw Andrea W's distress over this person, but haven't gone to check "Abbie" out myself. I feel like giving her blog more hits is not what I want to do. Ignore her as beneath notice seems a better plan. Otherwise, every nutcase is going to think they can engage us in unworthy discussions.

fred

The game is afoot
Oklahoma City Community College ? Is that a particularly pre-eminent science faculty? It's not one I'm familiar with.

And her Facebook page says she's a fan of PLoS. Says it all, really.

usedtobeperkytina

As for attacks on Whittemores and WPI is best handled by them. Honestly, it is their issue, not ours. They are big girls and boys, they can handle it. Now, contacting this young lady's bosses to complain of unprofessional conduct might be a good thing.

Tina

M

monkeybusiness

http://blue.butler.edu/~mzimmerm/Resources/sci_expert_data_base.htm

Name: Abigail Smith
Title: Graduate Student
Address: Department of Immunology and Microbiology
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Areas of Expertise: viral evolution, endogenous retroviruses, genetics
Email: ssmith30@ouhsc.edu

The Office of Community Partnerships and Health Policy is a part of the OUHSC Provost Office. The mission of Community Partnerships and Health Policy is to better connect OUHSC to the community.

Perhaps OUHSC regards Smith's blog as part of their outreach work.

JAS

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for all your help with this. Great research everyone! Thank you jx