• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Le syndrome de fatigue chronique : une nouvelle maladie ?

JaimeS

Literally "is chronic fatigue syndrome a new illness?"

In English:

Abstract
More than 30 years after its individualization, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) remains a debilitating condition for the patient and a confusing one to the physicians, both because of diagnostic difficulties and poorly codified management. Despite the numerous work carried out, its pathophysiology remains unclear, but a multifactorial origin is suggested with triggering (infections) and maintenance (psychological) factors as well as the persistence of inflammatory (low grade inflammation, microglial activation…), immunologic (decrease of NK cells, abnormal cytokine production, reactivity to a variety of allergens, role of estrogens…) and muscular (mitochondrial dysfunction and failure of bioenergetic performance) abnormalities at the origin of multiple dysfunctions (endocrine, neuromuscular, cardiovascular, digestive…). The complexity of the problem and the sometimes contradictory results of available studies performed so far are at the origin of different pathophysiological and diagnostic concepts. Based on a rigorous analysis of scientific data, the new American concept of Systemic Disease Exertion Intolerance proposed in 2015 simplifies the diagnostic approach and breaks with the past and terminologies (CFS and myalgic encephalomyelitis). It is still too early to distinguish a new disease, but this initiative is a strong signal to intensify the recognition and management of patients with CFS and stimulate research.

Keywords
  • Chronic fatigue syndrome;
  • Myalgic encephalomyelitis;
  • Systemic exertion intolerance disease;
  • Infections;
  • Inflammation;
  • Immunologic disorders;
  • Autoimmune diseases;
  • Fibromyalgia

....sigh.

JaimeS

You're right, they could do worse! I'm somewhat sighing at the SEID bit. I understand the need to yank 'ME' away from psychobabblers. so that when you search the term "psychogentic functional disorder" isn't some of what you see, though.

Cheshire

Yes, the "perpetuating factors" part is a bit of a problem... As other parts in the article.
The problem of the French physicians that take an interest in ME/CFS is that they're trying to make a weird compromise between the biomedical research and the psychiatric theories, not wanting to displease anyone.

Their sump up of the biomedical research is not bad actually, but they add psychobabbles here and there. I've been wondering for a lot of time what they really think.

Last edited:

A.B.

Yes, the "perpetuating factors" part is a bit of a problem... As other parts in the article.
The problem of the French physicians that take an interest in ME/CFS is that they're trying to make a weird compromise between the biomedical research and the psychiatric theories, not wanting to displease anyone.

Their sump up of the biomedical research is not bad actually, but they add psychobabbles here and there. I've been wondering for a lot of time what they really think.

Maybe this is just what you get with an "evidence based review". A little bit of everything because the authors don't have time to check the validity of every study and just assume that it's probably true.

Cheshire

Maybe this is just what you get with an "evidence based review". A little bit of everything because the authors don't have time to check the validity of every study and just assume that it's probably true.
The problem is the authors are not mere reviewers, they're supposed to be our French experts. Two of them were attending the IiME conference.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Since this is being posted here now I'd like to know the date of the article. Is it new (I can't see a date when I use the link)?

It seems Dr's don't know what to think and are looking for guidance from the research. At least if we can get some good bio research it appears that some are willing to consider that.

But of course the damage is done to some degree and there will be those who continue to drink the kool-aid.

Bob

Since this is being posted here now I'd like to know the date of the article. Is it new (I can't see a date when I use the link)?
Available online 31 May 2016

Le syndrome de fatigue chronique: une nouvelle maladie?
de Korwin JD, Chiche L, Banovic I, Ghali A, Delliaux S, Authier FJ, Cozon G, Hatron PY, Fornasieri I, Morinet F.
La Revue de Médecine Interne. 2016.

Justin30

What needs to happen is for the diseases to be subsetted in a center of excellence:

ME in my eyes is not CFS
- this is the severe disease complete disability after infection or rapid deterioration in months or a couple years
- Malnutrtion, Neuro Stuff, Brain Damage, Mito issues, OI Bad etc
CFS in my eyes is not Psychsomatic
- noticeable changes in energy, sleep, pain and Brain Fog

I think CFS can turn into ME is my thought.

There are more disease in this as well caused by vaccine injuries, Autoimmunity and immune disorders.

These are just my thoughts the sooner people stop using less severe patients in studies and start focusing on severeity and symptom clusters the further we will get I think.

This disease needs a major investment and home visits to get to the bottom of it.

Mij

@Justin30 I was initially diagnosed with PVFS by an M.E expert. I was "atypical" M.E, meaning, I didn't have PEM, sleep problems or pain at that time. The PEM developed 6 years later.

I still wonder if I wasn't vaccinated so much during the period I had the viral infection whether I would have developed M.E. I tried to explain this to my GP last week because she wanted to give me a tetanus shot. She squinted her eyes as though I was nuts when I refused.

Non, ce n'est pas une nouvelle maladie!

Justin30

@Justin30 I was initially diagnosed with PVFS by an M.E expert. I was "atypical" M.E, meaning, I didn't have PEM, sleep problems or pain at that time. The PEM developed 6 years later.

I still wonder if I wasn't vaccinated so much during the period I had the viral infection whether I would have developed M.E. I tried to explain this to my GP last week because she wanted to give me a tetanus shot. She squinted her eyes as though I was nuts when I refused.

Non, ce n'est pas une nouvelle maladie!

Could have been the likely culprit.....vaccine injury is talked about in ADEM and many other Neuroimmune illnesses....

When your sick protocal is to not vacinate.