• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eysenck’s contribution to CBT for physical health problems: fraudulent data

A.B.

I made a comment to try and draw attention to the widespread use of methods that can easily generate false positive results for CBT.

It's hard to believe but it's possible that this sort of self-deception or fraud (hard to prove) may have been going on since the days of Eysenck. Which means that a lot of money has been wasted, directly and indirectly. Just because it's widespread and accepted within the circle of the UK psych academic community doess't mean it's right.

Skippa

Anti-BS
I made a comment to try and draw attention to the widespread use of methods that can easily generate false positive results for CBT.

It's hard to believe but it's possible that this sort of self-deception or fraud (hard to prove) may have been going on since the days of Eysenck. Which means that a lot of money has been wasted, directly and indirectly. Just because it's widespread and accepted within the circle of the UK psych academic community doess't mean it's right.

Sounds like a lot of money saved if I were a governmental financier ;)

Bob

When i first came across the corruption in the CFS field in relation to CBT/GET, I thought the bold and bare-faced exaggeration and lies on the part of the researchers, selective citation and self-citation, ugly and aggressive self-promotion, corrupt clinical practices, and general public/media ignorance about the issues, were unique to the CFS field. As time has gone by I've had my eyes opened to a broad underbelly of academic corruption, in relation to biopsychosocial/cognitive-behavioural research and practices, which I initially had no idea about. Unfortunately the impact of these practices has a disproportional negative impact on ME/CFS for so many reasons. But it seems that we are not unique targets, which means that we have allies when challenging the practices. Some academics have been challenging it for perhaps decades.

Last edited:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
At no point, does the word “fraud” or “fraudulent” appear in Pelosi and Appleby’s first article. Rather, they suggest that “Eysenck and Grossarth-Maticek… are:

making claims which, if correct, would make creative novation therapy a vital part of public health policy throughout the world.”

They conclude with

For these reasons there should be a total reexamination and proper analysis of the original data from this research in an attempt to answer the questions listed above.

Yes, well, indeed!

chipmunk1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

Google Chrome finds the word "Eysenck" 5 times on this page.

Behavior therapy roots[edit]
The modern roots of CBT can be traced to the development ofbehavior therapyin the early 20th century, the development of cognitive therapy in the 1960s, and the subsequent merging of the two. Groundbreaking work of behaviorism began withWatson's and Rayner's studies ofconditioningin 1920.[111]Behaviorally-centered therapeutic approaches appeared as early as 1924[112]withMary Cover Jones' work dedicated to the unlearning of fears in children.[113]These were the antecedents of the development ofJoseph Wolpe's behavioral therapy in the 1950s.[111]It was the work of Wolpe and Watson, which was based onIvan Pavlov's work on learning and conditioning, that influenced Hans Eysenck andArnold Lazarusto develop new behavioral therapy techniques based onclassical conditioning.[111][114]One of Eysenck's colleagues,Glenn Wilsonshowed that classical fear conditioning in humans could be controlled by verbally induced cognitive expectations,[115]thus opening a field of research that supports the rationale of cognitive behaviorial therapy.
During the 1950s and 1960s, behavioral therapy became widely utilized by researchers in the United States, the United Kingdom, and South Africa, who were inspired by thebehavioristlearning theory ofIvan Pavlov,John B. Watson, andClark L. Hull.[112]In Britain,Joseph Wolpe, who applied the findings of animal experiments to his method ofsystematic desensitization,[111]applied behavioral research to the treatment of neurotic disorders. Wolpe's therapeutic efforts were precursors to today's fear reduction techniques.[112]British psychologist Hans Eysenck presented behavior therapy as a constructive alternative.[112][116]
At the same time of Eysenck's work,B.F. Skinnerand his associates were beginning to have an impact with their work onoperant conditioning.[111][114]Skinner's work was referred to asradical behaviorismand avoided anything related to cognition.[111]However,Julian Rotter, in 1954, andAlbert Bandura, in 1969, contributed behavior therapy with their respective work onsocial learning theory, by demonstrating the effects of cognition on learning and behavior modification.[111][114]
The emphasis on behavioral factors constituted the "first wave" of CBT.[117]
Cognitive therapy roots[edit]
One of the first therapists to address cognition in psychotherapy was Alfred Adler with his notion ofbasic mistakesand how they contributed to creation of unhealthy or useless behavioral and life goals.[118]Adler's work influenced the work ofAlbert Ellis,[118]who developed one of the earliest cognitive-based psychotherapies, known today asRational emotive behavior therapy, or REBT.[119]

Asa

Only half way through Coyne's (history) piece... Good Lord, the drama connected to this disease never ends! ME history, politics, mad "scientists", real scientists, affected individuals, families, advocates... Somebody needs to write it all up and sell it to Netflix!

alex3619

Only half way through Coyne's (history) piece... Good Lord, the drama connected to this disease never ends! ME history, politics, mad "scientists", real scientists, affected individuals, families, advocates... Somebody needs to write it all up and sell it to Netflix!
You could create a documentary style series of episodes, each covering a different thing, moving forward, and starting many decades ago. You need one for PACE, and then one for the aftermath where it all came apart.

wastwater

There could be a part in the film where someone is giving a talk to an audience saying I have a dream and a new vision for the future that one day all illnesses will be treated with CBT then a rapturous applause from the audience

A.B.

I feel sorry for Coyne. He makes such an effort to expose fraud and it seems that his article is barely getting any attention. The silence is deafening. Why are UK academics not denouncing this fraud, or at least expressing concern? Is CBT for physical problems too big to fail?

Surreal as so many things in this area.

chipmunk1

I feel sorry for Coyne. He makes such an effort to expose fraud and it seems that his article is barely getting any attention. The silence is deafening. Why are UK academics not denouncing this fraud, or at least expressing concern? Is CBT for physical problems too big to fail?

After reading this article they are probably busy doing CBT on themselves because of the negative thoughts that were popping up in their heads.