• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK-only petition hits 10,000 target & still rising - government must now respond! Still time to sign

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Edit: Target now hit! :balloons:

There've been some threads about this but the titles didn't make it clear that this is a UK-only petition aimed at getting the UK govt to respond, which happens when it hits 10,000 signatures - which it very nearly has done!

It says:

petition said:
No universally effective treatment exists for M.E. Current NHS treatments for the illness are based on the controversial PACE trial, and have been found ineffective or even harmful. Good quality research into the root cause of the illness is needed. The current annual budget for biomedical research works at roughly £1 per patient per year.

We want the budget for research to be dramatically increased.

We also ask for the formation of a work group focussing on the issues surrounding this disease.

Just 700 to go now [edit: 125 now!] - please sign and share, if you haven't already and let's get it across the finish line. :)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/118175

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you

AndyPR

It is great to hit that number and obviously it all adds to the growing awareness but I am sceptical about what kind of response we will get. As things stand at the moment, I can easily see their response being along the lines of "Currently, the best evidence points to CBT/GET as being safe and effective treatments, therefore nothing will change", I would absolutely love to be proved wrong though, obviously.

Hilary

It is great to hit that number and obviously it all adds to the growing awareness but I am sceptical about what kind of response we will get. As things stand at the moment, I can easily see their response being along the lines of "Currently, the best evidence points to CBT/GET as being safe and effective treatments, therefore nothing will change", I would absolutely love to be proved wrong though, obviously.
Although I would like @AndyPR's view to be wrong, I am also concerned that we will effectively be fobbed off - but let's wait and see. Maybe we should be going for the hundred thousand??;)

Sasha

Fine, thank you

We may get fobbed off with a stock answer but even so, I think it's good to shove this in the govt's face!

AndyPR

Although I would like @AndyPR's view to be wrong, I am also concerned that we will effectively be fobbed off - but let's wait and see. Maybe we should be going for the hundred thousand??;)
My wife can tell you how often I'm wrong so hopefully that will be the case here ;)
100 thousand would be so awesome but it's taken 3.5 months to get 10 thousand and the petition is only open until 13th July so I don't see that happening. But the good thing is the raised awareness, even just from people sharing it on social media and elsewhere.

snowathlete

I think this petition, a few others recently and the demonstrations etc. really show that patients and their supporters have begun to believe that we can be heard, that we can make change happen. It is worth signing these petitions, worth demonstrating, writing letters, etc. That is such an essential step that we have made. We must keep taking opportunities.