• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ehrlichia/Anaplasmosis natural treatment Protocols

Hey,

I've been looking online and I couldn't find much info about natural protocols against Ehrlicia and Anaplasmosis. Anyone that has any idea/experience about it?

Hutan

Hi @ECAsson

Our dogs in SE Asia had ehrlichiosis or anaplasmosis, contracted from tick bites. It is a nasty disease. If you have tested positive, I think you need to get on and treat it aggressively. From memory, the vet prescribed long courses of doxycycline. Is there a particular reason you want a natural protocol?

When my family got ME/CFS, ehrlichia was something I suspected. We have tested negative, although who knows how accurate the test was against the particular strain we may have been exposed to.

duncan

You may wish to try the forum Lymenet Flash. Use a pseudonym as most do here. It is a forum that frequently discusses treatment protocols for various TBDs.

Hi @ECAsson

Our dogs in SE Asia had ehrlichiosis or anaplasmosis, contracted from tick bites. It is a nasty disease. If you have tested positive, I think you need to get on and treat it aggressively. From memory, the vet prescribed long courses of doxycycline. Is there a particular reason you want a natural protocol?

When my family got ME/CFS, ehrlichia was something I suspected. We have tested negative, although who knows how accurate the test was against the particular strain we may have been exposed to.

Hey Hutan,

Thanks for your answer. I got tested positive for Ehrlichia/Anaplasma both through Arminlabs and Dark Field Microscopy. Also for Borrelia through the same procedures.

I do believe one of these two or even both are the main cause of my CFS, as I have a good improvement-response on antibiotics. I am planning on doing a doxy-treatment in June when I travel to my home-country, but meanwhile I would have tried some natural solutions to try and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Ed

Vojta

That test through Armin labs was only LTT? Or did you get also serology tests (IgM, IgG)? Also PCR before treatment could be useful.

I was positive only through IgG. It became negative only after more than 4 years after last known tickbite. I took lots of abx meanwhile for suspected lyme which should kill it. I wouldn't bet on any natural treatments if there is ongoing chronic infection though.

Dufresne

almost there...
This is Stephen Buhner's protocol for anaplasma and ehrlichia, from book on Anaplasma, Babesia, and Ehrlichia:

Tincture combination Salvia miltiorrhiza and houttuynia spp. (equal parts of each) .5 tsp 6x/day. Can increase to 1 tsp 6x/day.
Genistein 250mg 2-3 times per day. Quercetin is a decent substitute.
Tincture combination of Scutellaria baicalensis, Cordyceps spp. Pueraria lobata (equal parts each), .5 tsp 3-6x/day.
Tincture combination Astragalus spp, Angelica sinensis, Glycyrrhiza spp (equal parts each), .5 tsp 6x/day.
Tincture of Withania somnifera .5 tsp 3x/day.
Tincture Panax ginseng .25 tsp 3x/day
Milk thistle see 1200-2400 mg/day

He claims, of all the TBD's infections, these are the easiest to clear. I've spent a fair bit of time on Lyme forums and there is far less bitching about these guys, so this statement is likely accurate. He also suggests a few pharmaceutical protocols for those preferring to go that route. Let me know if you want them.

Fantastic info, @Dufresne! Thank you!

Yes, that is what many people told me too, so I feel like I ''won the lottery'' by ''just'' getting this co-infection and not Babesia and/or Bartonella. Those are hardcore.

I would much appreciate if you wrote the pharmaceutical protocol too. :)

That test through Armin labs was only LTT? Or did you get also serology tests (IgM, IgG)? Also PCR before treatment could be useful.

I was positive only through IgG. It became negative only after more than 4 years after last known tickbite. I took lots of abx meanwhile for suspected lyme which should kill it. I wouldn't bet on any natural treatments if there is ongoing chronic infection though.

It was Elispot + CD57 cell count

Dufresne

almost there...
Doxycycline seems to be the number one choice. 200 mg/day. He mentions that newer studies suggest 30 days might be better than the standard 7-14. Rifampin 300mg 2x/day for the same period of time can be used if one can't take doxycline. And a combination of chloroquine and doxycycline is apparently more effective than doxy alone, though he doesn't indicate the dose to be taken. I would think it would be in the ballpark of about 250 mg/day.

Doxycycline seems to be the number one choice. 200 mg/day. He mentions that newer studies suggest 30 days might be better than the standard 7-14. Rifampin 300mg 2x/day for the same period of time can be used if one can't take doxycline. And a combination of chloroquine and doxycycline is apparently more effective than doxy alone, though he doesn't indicate the dose to be taken. I would think it would be in the ballpark of about 250 mg/day.

Thank you millions again!

7-14 seems of course little. I've been on Doxy for 10 days before and while it did help, I'd always relapse after finishing it. So I need at least 4 weeks

I've read a bit about chloroquine and it's perceived as a dangerous drug, that could cause deafness and other dangerous side effects. Being 30 days on it in conjunction with Doxy appears like a risk to me. Pity he doesn't state the exact dose and the suggested time for it.

Dufresne

almost there...
Thank you millions again!

7-14 seems of course little. I've been on Doxy for 10 days before and while it did help, I'd always relapse after finishing it. So I need at least 4 weeks

I've read a bit about chloroquine and it's perceived as a dangerous drug, that could cause deafness and other dangerous side effects. Being 30 days on it in conjunction with Doxy appears like a risk to me. Pity he doesn't state the exact dose and the suggested time for it.

Chloroquine is fairly safe. It can cause damage to the eye if it's taken in large doses over a number of years. Generally this isn't an issue if one is taking under 250 mg per day. I vary it between 250 and five hundred. For whatever reason it agrees with me better than hydroxychloroquine. Go figure. Anyway the latter is recommended by Horowitz for his intracellular protocol for borrelia. And it works for babesia and apparently anaplasma so it seems it's quite useful for intracellular infections of all kinds. And chloroquine converts to hydroxychloroquine in the body.

Dufresne

almost there...
By the way,

Would you mind writing down his recommendations for Rickettsia, as well? Both the natural and pharmaceutical ones. :)

Japanese Knotweed 1tbls of root powder 3x/day.
Salvia miltiorrhiza 1 tsp 3x/day
Chinese skullcap root 1 tsp 3x/day
Cordyceps 1tsp3x/day
Milk thistle seed 1200 mg 2x /day
NAC650-800 mg 3x/day
Vitamin D3 8000 IU/day
B6 25-50 my/day
B12 1000 mcg/day
Selenium 60mcg 2x/day

Doxycycline 100 mg 2x/day

There are others with a less safe profile, but Doxy is considered the best. Buhner notes that persistence has been seen with this bug and may be fairly common.

Plum

This is Stephen Buhner's protocol for anaplasma and ehrlichia, from book on Anaplasma, Babesia, and Ehrlichia:

Tincture combination Salvia miltiorrhiza and houttuynia spp. (equal parts of each) .5 tsp 6x/day. Can increase to 1 tsp 6x/day.
Genistein 250mg 2-3 times per day. Quercetin is a decent substitute.
Tincture combination of Scutellaria baicalensis, Cordyceps spp. Pueraria lobata (equal parts each), .5 tsp 3-6x/day.
Tincture combination Astragalus spp, Angelica sinensis, Glycyrrhiza spp (equal parts each), .5 tsp 6x/day.
Tincture of Withania somnifera .5 tsp 3x/day.
Tincture Panax ginseng .25 tsp 3x/day
Milk thistle see 1200-2400 mg/day

He claims, of all the TBD's infections, these are the easiest to clear. I've spent a fair bit of time on Lyme forums and there is far less bitching about these guys, so this statement is likely accurate. He also suggests a few pharmaceutical protocols for those preferring to go that route. Let me know if you want them.

Where is the best place to source salvia miltiorrhiza tincture? I'm struggling to find one from a good company?