• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New paper: Gene Expression Factor Analysis to Differentiate Pathways Linked to FM, ME/CFS .....

voner

University of Utah, Kathy Light, Alan Light, et. al.

Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016 Jan;68(1):132-40. doi: 10.1002/acr.22639.
Gene Expression Factor Analysis to Differentiate Pathways Linked to Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Depression in a Diverse Patient Sample.
Iacob E1, Light AR1, Donaldson GW1, Okifuji A1, Hughen RW1, White AT1, Light KC1.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To determine if independent candidate genes can be grouped into meaningful biologic factors, and whether these factors are associated with the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS), while controlling for comorbid depression, sex, and age.

METHODS:
We included leukocyte messenger RNA gene expression from a total of 261 individuals, including healthy controls (n = 61), patients with FMS only (n = 15), with CFS only (n = 33), with comorbid CFS and FMS (n = 79), and with medication-resistant (n = 42) or medication-responsive (n = 31) depression. We used exploratory factor analysis (EFA) on 34 candidate genes to determine factor scores and regression analysis to examine whether these factors were associated with specific diagnoses.

RESULTS:
EFA resulted in 4 independent factors with minimal overlap of genes between factors, explaining 51% of the variance. We labeled these factors by function as 1) purinergic and cellular modulators, 2) neuronal growth and immune function, 3) nociception and stress mediators, and 4) energy and mitochondrial function. Regression analysis predicting these biologic factors using FMS, CFS, depression severity, age, and sex revealed that greater expression in factors 1 and 3 was positively associated with CFS and negatively associated with depression severity (Quick Inventory for Depression Symptomatology score), but not associated with FMS.

CONCLUSION:
Expression of candidate genes can be grouped into meaningful clusters, and CFS and depression are associated with the same 2 clusters, but in opposite directions, when controlling for comorbid FMS. Given high comorbid disease and interrelationships between biomarkers, EFA may help determine patient subgroups in this population based on gene expression.

voner

Existing thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tor-analysis-to-differentiate-pathways.38288/

(@voner, your memory is as bad as mine! Look at the third post in the other thread.)

@Bob

You are right. My memory is horrible. Pretty frustrating. I try hard not to post a paper that has been posted. I checked all the recent threads, but not that far back. I wonder what happened with that paper. The original publication was a year ago, but all the links from a year ago like to move the 2016 version of the paper.

There have been other old threads on this form that I have read, thinking, "this is pretty novel", and then I see my own post in the thread.... Meaning I have already read the thread.... Ugh.

voner

@Bob! Quick, before I forget,

Check out this quote I just read from Mady Horning's talk she gave in Sweden...she is talking about some of the results from the spinal fluid taken from Dr. Peterson's patients (My bolding):

And consistent with what we found with the long duration subjects in the blood we found decreases in many of the same cytokines, almost non-existent IL-6. IL-6 intriguingly is extraordinarily important in memory models, IL-6 knockout mice don't have the capacity to lay down a memory, so their longer term memory, taking something from short term memory and commemorating it in longer term memory, is impaired.

Bob

There have been other old threads on this form that I have read, thinking, "this is pretty novel", and then I see my own post in the thread.... Meaning I have already read the thread.... Ugh.
I'm exactly the same, but even worse! I sometimes come across 'brand new' research papers, only to discover very long threads in which I've plastered long and detailed analyses thoroughout, and even posted the opening post! And I can't remember any of it! I'm used to it now, and can see the funny side of it, but it's a strange experience! :ill: