• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-theanine - anyone tried?

Hi All,

I've just started taking L-theanine - it's only my second day. Started on just 200mg a day. One thing I've noticed today is that my appetite is lower than normal. I'm not complaining about that at all as I am *ahem* carrying a few extra pounds....However, I'm just interested to hear from anyone else who has tried this supplement and if you found the same side effect? That is, if it is a side effect. Perhaps I'm just having a very rare 'not stuffing myself' day.

undiagnosed

I've used Suntheanine which are chewable L-Theanine tablets. I've taken 100-200 mg and usually it just makes me tired and I tend to take a nap so I don't take them often. I didn't notice any effect on appetite.

u&iraok

I've had great success with l-theanine clearing my head and relaxing me, but not with appetite suppression that I've noticed, however, others have remarked on it's appetite-reducing effect. It does induce thermogenesis, fat burning, so many that's the connection.

Here's a quote with a good article that has references:

It’s one of the few supplements that crosses the blood-brain barrier. Research to date indicates that theanine is very useful for restoring balance to systems neglected by people who are on the go. It helps counteract the stimulating effects of caffeine, but complements caffeine’s positive aspects such as fat burning. It relaxes and rejuvenates. It reduces alcohol levels in the bloodstream and supports liver health. It restores mood and motivation, increases thermogenesis, and protects the brain.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2006/1/report_theanine/Page-01

Mel9

I've had great success with l-theanine clearing my head and relaxing me, but not with appetite suppression that I've noticed, however, others have remarked on it's appetite-reducing effect. It does induce thermogenesis, fat burning, so many that's the connection.

Here's a quote with a good article that has references:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2006/1/report_theanine/Page-01

I bought some theanine but not sure if I should take it after all. My son, who has anxiety, problems, took one tablet and had a massive panic attack as a result
Is this common?

@Mel9 - it's the bomb. i have it each morning:

Blended in coffee: Inositol, D-Ribose, Caprylic Acid (C8 MCT)
Supplements with coffee: NAD+, L-Glutamine, R-Alpha Lipoic Acid, L-Theanine

l-theanine combined with coffee has a very nice effect - a calm alertness that is subtly chill. it's very good for waking up and starting the day. for me, this is a nice combo with the effect that LDN generates.

if you try it, i'd suggest that you take it with a cup of coffee or tea in the morning. i doubt that you will find it to be unpleasant.

@otterjack - regarding appetite suppression, i have not experienced any appetite issues with it (my appetite is suppressed by PEM/fatigue).

Wonko

I take it at night, with magnesium malate, potassium glycinate and cetirizine, it helps me get to sleep, took about 3 weeks to do anything noticeable in that regard tho. Now instead of lying there like an idiot for 4-5 hours waiting to get to sleep, as I have done most nights for the last 20 odd years, I am generally asleep within an hour,

Mel9

I take it at night, with magnesium malate, potassium glycinate and cetirizine, it helps me get to sleep, took about 3 weeks to do anything noticeable in that regard tho. Now instead of lying there like an idiot for 4-5 hours waiting to get to sleep, as I have done most nights for the last 20 odd years, I am generally asleep within an hour,

I have been taking it for a few months now and I think it has helped me through stressful times waiting for my redundancy