• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cow's Milk Protein Intolerance in Adolescents and Young Adults with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

CCC

The measures are all short-term.

It's an old study.

But it's probably right.

a2 milk has swept the allergy community here.

Pity sci-hub is down.

msf

Lactose is a FODMAP, and lots of people with ME have gut issues, so this finding isn´t very surprising.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
This is interesting... I don't tolerate milk products (didn't realise for many years) I get eczema as a result and had a positive test on a hydrogen breath test for lactose. (tested negative for glucose)

Last edited:

CCC

Lactose is a sugar. This study was looking at proteins (according to the title), but just looked at whole milk reactions (according to the abstract).

It's possible to be intolerant of the protein, or intolerant of lactose, or both. We'd need to see the whole paper to really know what they did.

I can see sci-hub, but it won;t search for the doi properly.

Lactose is a FODMAP, and lots of people with ME have gut issues, so this finding isn´t very surprising.
This is interesting... I don't tolerate milk products (didn't realise for many years) I get eczema as a result and had a positive test on a hydrogen breath test for lactose.

msf

Lactose is a sugar. This study was looking at proteins (according to the title), but just looked at whole milk reactions (according to the abstract).

It's possible to be intolerant of the protein, or intolerant of lactose, or both. We'd need to see the whole paper to really know what they did.

I can see sci-hub, but it won;t search for the doi properly.

It didn´t look like that kind of study at first glance, but you may be right. I hadn´t heard of people being intolerant of the protein, but I haven´t looked into it much.

I'm pretty sure I was born with the CMP intolerance and certain my daughter was. I assumed for years it was the lactose my maternal side of the family have problems with, but as we can't tolerate lactose free milk it must be the protein.
It has definitely got worse as I've got older though, I substitute with goat's milk.

u&iraok

I'm curious to find out if raw milk is more tolerated. Supposedly pasteurization destroys enzymes used to digest milk (lactase for the assimilation of lactose; galactase for the assimilation of galactose; phosphatase for the assimilation of calcium). Also, there may be other issues at play such as synthetic vitamin D and Bovine Growth Hormone. I'm assuming the study used pasteurized milk?

The Dairy Industry has an interest in us drinking lots of cows milk. It's too bad we can't raise other animals for milk such as goats, though their milk doesn't have much folate or B12. I remember learning about a type of antelope whose milk was similar to human milk, but of course it's in Africa. But it would be nice to research a more appropriate animal's milk.

Another theory out there is that there are two kinds of cows, A1 and A2 and it's the A1 cows that produce milk that is hard to digest. I wonder if milk used from A2 cows would make a difference. This is from an article written in 2014:

It turns out that they could be onto something. An emerging body of research suggests that many of the 1 in 4 Americans who exhibit symptoms of lactose intolerance could instead be unable to digest A1, a protein most often found in milk from the high-producing Holstein cows favored by American and some European industrial dairies. The A1 protein is much less prevalent in milk from Jersey, Guernsey, and most Asian and African cow breeds, where, instead, the A2 protein predominates.

When digested, A1 beta-casein (but not the A2 variety) releases beta-casomorphin7 (BCM7), an opioid with a structure similar to that of morphine. Studies increasingly point to BCM7 as a troublemaker. Numerous recent tests, for example, have shown that blood from people with autism and schizophrenia contains higher-than-average amounts of BCM7. In a recent study, Richard Deth, a professor of pharmacology at Northeastern University in Boston, and his postdoctoral fellow, Malav Trivedi, showed in cell cultures that the presence of similarly high amounts of BCM7 in gut cells causes a chain reaction that creates a shortage of antioxidants in neural cells, a condition that other research has tied to autism. The study, underwritten in part by A2 Corp., is now undergoing peer review in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/a1-milk-a2-milk-america