• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stomach biopsy, anything specific ME/CFS Doctors looks for, that my Gastro Dr. could biopsy for?

Jennifer J

Hi, Everyone. I need your help again, please. I'm going to be meeting with a Gastroenterologist. She will be doing an endoscopy on me without any kind of numbing or anesthesia. I only hope to do this once and hopefully not need to do it again for years, if ever.

I am also hoping someday (this fall or next year) to maybe see KDM or one of the ME/CFS Doctors in the Bay Area. The only doctor of our medical condition I've been able to see so far is Dr. Chia. (He did blood work that shows I have enteroviruses.)

Here's my questions: Is there anything in particular they (the ME/CFS doctors) would look for regarding me having ME/CFS that I could ask her to biopsy/test for? And should I/could I have anything sent to their labs?

Thank you for any ideas, and knowledge, it helps a lot. :hug:

Last edited:
Hi, Everyone. I need your help again. I'm going to be meeting with a Gastroenterologist. She will be doing an endoscopy on me without any kind of numbing or anesthesia. I only hope to do this once and hopefully not need to do it again for years, if ever.

That does not sound pleasant. Wishing you all the best with the procedure.

Jennifer J

Some patients have had PCR tests for viruses from stomach tissue. Apparently it can be easier to find there than in the blood.

I know what I would ask for - a biopsy of any Yersinia-like ulcerations (I am IgA positive for Yersinia Enterocolitica). I think it would at least be worth asking them to keep an eye out for anything in this article: http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjd6J_M_OXMAhXBvRQKHQHpCS0QFgg5MAI&url=http://www.annalsgastro.gr/index.php/annalsgastro/article/download/547/430&usg=AFQjCNFjyNS42sVu7yvFmtVw3Nb4rG9n8Q&bvm=bv.122448493,d.bGg

@Sushi, @msf, and @shannah, thank you! :)

valentinelynx

After reading (some of) Afrin's new MCAS book: Never Bet Against Occam, I would love to have my GI biopsies tested for excessive mast cells. Apparently, this test is rarely done unless very specifically requested.