• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hard to Talk

i think this may be more my adrenals - I'm not sure - but does anyone else get like there is an elephant standing on your chest and stomach and even the thought of having to talk is monumental. It's like I try to say something but this crushing weight on those areas is stopping me. It's so isolating along with the physical and mental exhaustion.

I actually feel like I'm going from a 1 to a zero. It's getting hard just to get to the bathroom. I'm scared.

Last edited:

Aurator

I had difficulty talking in anything other than a croak for the first year or two. I learned to communicate with hand signals.

I was diagnosed by an ENT consultant with laryngitis, which he attributed partly to acid reflux (which I didn't and don't have). I was sent for speech therapy. When I didn't respond to the speech therapy, I was told that part of my problem was that I had learned to fear using my voice and this made my voice come out croaky. I knew this was fiddlesticks and that my voice was croaky because I was ill, but it was futile telling them that.

The croakiness has improved as time has gone on (even if it returns now and again) but other common symptoms of ME/CFS are still very much with me.

NL93

So sorry. I have this too. Most days i don't even talk to people at all. When i talk too long i get out of breath.

I also understand the fear of getting worse. It is scaring the crap out of me, and i am not a person that gets scared easily. This disease is just such a nightmare.

The only thing i can suggest is to talk less if it feels like too much of an exertion. For me a lot of symptoms tend to get a bit better with rest.

The only thing i can suggest is to talk less if it feels like too much of an exertion. For me a lot of symptoms tend to get a bit better with rest.

Unfortunately I do get fearful easily - trying to work on that. It scares me tho that I'm so exhausted I can barely communicate with others.

Tella

So sorry. I have this too. Most days i don't even talk to people at all. When i talk too long i get out of breath.

I also understand the fear of getting worse. It is scaring the crap out of me, and i am not a person that gets scared easily. This disease is just such a nightmare.

Hey how are u now? Any tips on not crashing after talking for a little bit?

Tella

I had difficulty talking in anything other than a croak for the first year or two. I learned to communicate with hand signals.

I was diagnosed by an ENT consultant with laryngitis, which he attributed partly to acid reflux (which I didn't and don't have). I was sent for speech therapy. When I didn't respond to the speech therapy, I was told that part of my problem was that I had learned to fear using my voice and this made my voice come out croaky. I knew this was fiddlesticks and that my voice was croaky because I was ill, but it was futile telling them that.

The croakiness has improved as time has gone on (even if it returns now and again) but other common symptoms of ME/CFS are still very much with me.

NL93

Hey. I have gotten a lot better. I still can’t talk for entire days straight but i can actually talk for a few hours a day now, even when sitting upright. I was bedbound and only able to talk a few sentences a day in 2016. I can only suggest to just talk as much as you are able to. If it’s too much then have a rest. I am still slowly improving as long as I don’t overdo things.