• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cyanocobalamin and Folinic?

Hi all, I've been working on getting my auxiliary support supplement stack ready before starting methylation treatment (electrolytes, L-histidine which has helped cognitively since I'm low histamine, ACES multi without b12/folate and the necessary minerals)

My 23andme tested +/+ for MTRR and COMT, but -/- for MTR

Im guessing that I need b12, but not methyl b12. Every time I've tried very small doses of mb12 (100mcg) its ended in spiraling depression and rage, same goes for methylfolate and hydroxy b12, but cyanocobalamin hasnt affected me in the past from what I recall.

I feel like the mb12 and methylfolate place a burden on my COMT and their unmethylated counterparts like cyano b12 and folinic might be better for me.

I fit the classic overmethylated bio type to a T as well.

Am I doing the right thing or might this end badly for me? Can someone lead me in the right direction?

So I tried 250mcg of cyanob12 in split doses yesterday and I felt pretty good cognitively, but towards the end of the night I was slurring a few words for some reason, blamed it on tiredness and hit the hay. Took a little more magnesium glycinate than I usually take before bed

Slept a full 12 hours and skipped through 9 alarms this morning, oh boy. Tried 1mg of cyanob12 again today followed by 200mg potassium an hour later and the lightbulb in my head was a little dimmer. Didn't take my second dose this afternoon and I feel my symptoms clearing up. Maybe cyano isn't a good fit?

Would adenob12 help instead?

The main symptoms I'm dealing with are mid-day fatigue, which potassium has helped, and a dull brain. I'm usually quick on my feet but every time I start any b vit or methylation I lose creativity and energy

Mutations:
+/+ for many CBS, MAO-A, MTRR, BHMT-08, COMT, SULT, and CYPBA genes.

Last edited:

PennyIA

I can't really answer your questions. I do think trial and error is by far about what we all end up doing even when we do try different suggested protocols.

For me, I could take mounds of cyanocobalamin and still show up as b12 deficient. And after 3 months of taking folic acid, cyanocobalamin and b6 (not p-5-p)... was the beginning of my worst crash I've ever had. I believe I was becoming toxic due to unable to process the vitamins in the forms they were in. For b12 and folic acid, I can't prove it as the blood tests they did don't show a toxicity response, but I was b6 toxic.

If you can't tolerate a dose of methylcobalamin, you might try hydoroxyb12 or adenob12 or a mixture. You might also try to supply some supporting co-factors which might make it easier for your body to accept it.

I can't really answer your questions. I do think trial and error is by far about what we all end up doing even when we do try different suggested protocols.

For me, I could take mounds of cyanocobalamin and still show up as b12 deficient. And after 3 months of taking folic acid, cyanocobalamin and b6 (not p-5-p)... was the beginning of my worst crash I've ever had. I believe I was becoming toxic due to unable to process the vitamins in the forms they were in. For b12 and folic acid, I can't prove it as the blood tests they did don't show a toxicity response, but I was b6 toxic.

If you can't tolerate a dose of methylcobalamin, you might try hydoroxyb12 or adenob12 or a mixture. You might also try to supply some supporting co-factors which might make it easier for your body to accept it.
I've seen p5p recommended in this forum over b6 because it's better tolerated, I experienced some numbness in my extremities just three days into starting b6, but p5p didn't give me those problems.

have you tested your genes? I'm curious as to what SNP's you might have

PennyIA

I have 23andme results. Not sure what SNPs might be involved but I do suspect it's related to Methylation. My mother also got severely toxic on low-dose B6 as well. I have noticed that within a few weeks of taking P5P I can see a re-occurance of the symptoms (though I tolerate it better than the other form)... so ... I'm either missing a cofactor or taking too large a dose or something that I haven't fully sorted out.

I don't tolerate any of the magnesium supplements I've tried to date (3 tried, one on the list to try yet)... and magnesium oil breaks me out in hives which is REALLY weird, as I tolerate epsom salt baths fine - and as best I can detect the only difference would be concentration. But epsom salt baths help tremendously with a lot of my chronic pain and tendonitis... so I figure if it's helping me get magnesium into my system - I'll keep doing it.

I've also added potassium ... levels still test a little low, but I've got rx for supplementation - so that's what I'm doing.

I can't remember the other cofactors I've learned since... but right now, I find that if I start supplementation and back off... start it again, I seem to keep the worst of the side effects away while I try to learn more.

I have 23andme results. Not sure what SNPs might be involved but I do suspect it's related to Methylation. My mother also got severely toxic on low-dose B6 as well. I have noticed that within a few weeks of taking P5P I can see a re-occurance of the symptoms (though I tolerate it better than the other form)... so ... I'm either missing a cofactor or taking too large a dose or something that I haven't fully sorted out.

I don't tolerate any of the magnesium supplements I've tried to date (3 tried, one on the list to try yet)... and magnesium oil breaks me out in hives which is REALLY weird, as I tolerate epsom salt baths fine - and as best I can detect the only difference would be concentration. But epsom salt baths help tremendously with a lot of my chronic pain and tendonitis... so I figure if it's helping me get magnesium into my system - I'll keep doing it.

I've also added potassium ... levels still test a little low, but I've got rx for supplementation - so that's what I'm doing.

I can't remember the other cofactors I've learned since... but right now, I find that if I start supplementation and back off... start it again, I seem to keep the worst of the side effects away while I try to learn more.
Odd. Your intolerance to magnesium is very interesting, magnesium glycinate is usually well tolerated, my best guess would be that you have a GABA/glutamate inbalance and magnesium tips the scale towards glutamate formation? Beats me, honestly.

P5P is a tricky one, in my case it works fine for the first two or three days and then it makes me feel worse, I think it's the CBS acting up. Instead L-Histidine has been a godsend for my low histamine, it gives me all the perks P5P did (enhanced cognition, more focused and a silver tongue) without the drawbacks. Oddly enough this supplement was on the list of supps I should avoid, but the body works in mysterious ways. If you have low histamine I highly recommend it

You may want to look into Adeno b12 or Hydrox b12. I take a mixture of these, as taking methyl b12 didn't do much at all for me.

You may want to look into Adeno b12 or Hydrox b12. I take a mixture of these, as taking methyl b12 didn't do much at all for me.
I'm strongly considering adenob12 cause hydroxy did nothing but give me depression, it mops up nitric oxide and I have a NOS snp. Is adeno also methylated? I don't know too much about it

Low dose, I am not sure. I use a 3,000 mcg from Seeking Health from amazon.

You could break up the pills or just try it.