• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Martine McCutcheon opens up about the seven years she suffered from cfs and depression

manna

i had a kind of childhood crush on martine when she was in eastenders and she did come over as genuine too. i saw her on some programme and could see the cfs in her face straight away. she's still pretty but to me you can see the illness still, which i think you can if you look at most faces with cfs. kind of a sadness in the eyes. i think that was with in the last year though couyld be wrong. it doesn't say shes recovered, i don't think..

yes and there was talk of nlp so makes evaluation difficult because of positive spin

Richie

Hi Silverblade
I have been ill for 28 years. I have had many tests indicating organic pathology. Many of them put me in the CFS or ME camp. But I do not know whether I have dorsal root ganglionitis which SM had , whether I have encephalomyelitis, whether I have an infection involving either/both of the above and I do not see why dorsal root ganglionitis is regarded as encephalomyelitis.
I do not know what has been wrong with MMc. She may have been very organically ill and LP may have helped rehabilitate post illness, which is more or less what LP claims to do, except it dishonestly conflates a post pathological neurocircuitry problem with ongoing infective and other illnesses under the name of ME/CFS. This is akin to treating pain from an infected arm as a phantom limb pain disorder.

IMO we all remain the victims of under investigation and waste basket diagnoses, whatever name is given.

Leopardtail

She has a message on her afacebook page

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Martine-McCutcheon/176033142413287

She mentions anti depressants, diet, pacing, detoxing, lightning process etc etc.
She doesnt claim to be cured - says she is still ill but much better.
Also mentions having had Glandular fever at some point.

I hope that she does get better - just like i hope that we all do. It is a brave move to tell everyone when you are in the public eye. I ahvent even come out to everyone i know. Is hard when my kids friends mums dont know and i have to battle to take the kids to meet them for swimming or something. But its too hard to explain so i keep quiet.
Most people tend to think you are weird or cant stop telling you they had a friend who recovered with LP or CBT or aloe Vera or Prayer or standing on one leg in a tub of cold water! Cant take all that anymore so just zip it and say am fine. Makes it a bit awkward if they see me in the wheelchair!
Thanks for the link. Have posted a "thank you" message for her getting out disease into the pubic eye.

Martine also said that we have to love ourselves otherwise we would just stay in bed all day!
Martine has repeatedly conflated her depression symptoms with her ME.

That is not the kind of misleading publicity we need, in my opinion. In fact its damaging.
Martine is now endorsing Lightning Process on Phil Parkers Commercial website -
she appears to be oblivious to the numbers of people with ME who have had long term relapses due to Lighting trainers telling them to overide pacing.
Some ME patients who have done Lightning Process became far more ill as a result of doing Lightning than they were before doing Lightning.

Last edited:

Leopardtail

Martine also said that we have to love ourselves otherwise we would just stay in bed all day!

That is not the kind of misleading publicity we need, in my opinion. In fact its damaging.
Martine is now endorsing Lightning Process on Phil Parkers Commercial website -
she appears to be oblivious to the numbers of people who have had long term relapses due to Lighting trainers telling them to overide pacing.

eeeeekk !!

Bob

I think it's the media that's done that, more than Martine, as I've pointed out previously.
She's been clear that she's had both ME/CFS and depression and that she suffered an utterly confusing mess of symptoms. She didn't know what was going on. And she had to get treatment for both the depression and ME/CFS at the same time.

Martine is now endorsing Lightning Process on Phil Parkers Commercial website...
To be accurate, the lightning process website is using Martine on their website. We don't know if Martine has authorised this. It looks to me like it might not be an official endorsement. (It's a photo taken of a TV show, and a short quote.) But perhaps it is official.

She's never said that LP cured her, as far as I'm aware. She's said it helped her.

It's not a great situation, in terms of ME advocacy, but the reality is when people get ill with ME, things are a mess. For all of us. And people will try alternative therapies because there's nothing else on offer.

Last edited:
Martine has given publicity to Lightning -
http://lightningprocess.com/ and

'Success Stories' http://lightningprocess.com/success-stories/

- she is apparently oblivious about the damage Lightning has done to ME sufferers.

I don't think that things being "a mess" "when we get ill with ME" really applies here.

Martine did a massive publicity blitz over a number of days and many interviews about her ME and her depression. The next day she was in the press promoting relaunching her pop career.

Last edited:

Bob

Martine has given publicity to Lightning -
http://lightningprocess.com/
I agree. She has given publicity to the Lightning Process. She has said that it helped her.
But we don't know that she's given her official endorsement to promote the Lightning Process.

- she is apparently oblivious about the damage Lightning has done to ME sufferers.
Yes, perhaps she is oblivious.

I don't think that things being "a mess" "when we get ill with ME" really applies here.
Why not?

@ Bob

Martine McCutcheon "trying alternative therapies" is a world away from Martine giving massive publicity to an NLP 'ME cure' training (Lightning) that has harmed countless ME sufferers, that has outrageously been trialled on youngsters, and the LP trainers deny that any harm has taken place.... or blame the patients

In my view it was irresponsible of her to conflate ME with depression, to mainly talk about her depression symptoms and experience in her interviews whilst saying that she has ME.

In this instance it really is not reasonable to just blame the media for (supposedly) misrepresenting what Martine said. Martine is on record on live interviews. Martine is absolutely NOT naive about the media. She has sought media attention to promote her career for many years (as do most celebrities) and she has great experience of how the media operate.

Martine states that depression is a part of ME. Not true. Depression is not a symptom of ME (not even the Oxford or Reeves criteria state that). That sick people may become depressed due to their restrictions, losses, pain, etc is not exclusively a part of ME, is not a symptom of ME, but is (sadly) common with all chronic life limiting diseases.

All these years ME sufferers have been up against ME symptoms being conflated with or portrayed as depression. We just don't need celebrities so misrepresenting ME in the media as to reinforce the idea that ME is depression, or indistinguishable from depression. .

Re Martine stating on Phil Parkers commercial website that "Lightning Process is Brilliant".....
The reading/viewing public don't distinguish between a celebrity saying something 'helped' and the Lightning 'ME cure' propaganda. Publicity for Lightning is publicity for 'Lightning cures ME'

Last edited:

Leopardtail

I think it's the media that's done that, more than Martine, as I've pointed out previously.
She's been clear that she's had both ME/CFS and depression and that she suffered an utterly confusing mess of symptoms. She didn't know what was going on. And she had to get treatment for both the depression and ME/CFS at the same time.

To be accurate, the lightning process website is using Martine on their website. We don't know if Martine has authorised this. It looks to me like it might not be an official endorsement. (It's a photo taken of a TV show, and a short quote.) But perhaps it is official.

She's never said that LP cured her, as far as I'm aware. She's said it helped her.

It's not a great situation, in terms of ME advocacy, but the reality is when people get ill with ME, things are a mess. For all of us. And people will try alternative therapies because there's nothing else on offer.
Bob I have seen and heard heard her credit it with her recovery from CFS on an hour long TV documentary here in the UK. It made me utterly livid.

Mij

What treatment did she receive for M.E?