• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Assumption that mental health care is needed for cfs

Chrisb

It needs to be pointed out that it is only said that he began displaying symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. That could mean almost anything. It does not say that he was diagnosed even with CFS, under any of its definitions.In this way the message can be spread that CFS is a mental illness.

NL93

Yeah ridiculous. Maybe misdiagnosis. Some doctors just think you can call all forms of tiredness CFS.
Here in The Netherlands a lot of people are misdiagnosed too. My best friend suffers from anorexia (made her tired and some days she would be so tired that she would stay in bed. Other days she would work out for hours without eating anything) and she was diagnosed with CFS on top of anorexia.
She was put in a mental health clinic. Eventually she started eating again and was cured of her "CFS"
She told them it was a misdiagnosis (because she knows me, lol) but they diagnosed her anyways. Really ridiculous.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
The author is Denis Campbell, who has written drivel about ME before, eg he gives Crawley and White a free pass here:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/dec/12/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-schools

And here he is sticking up for Andrew Wakefield:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/jul/08/health.medicineandhealth1

after already disgracing himself by writing an infamous article about MMR / Austism in the Observer:

charman-anderson.com/2007/07/26/new-health-fears-over-big-surge-in-misleading-and-irresponsible-science-reporting/

Which has since been removed from the Observer website.

His article about Fish Oil has also been held up as an example of bad science and removed from the Observer's website.

Maybe he should have stuck to the sportsdesk.