• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Pridgen's antiviral for Fibro and ME/CFS

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
You mean generally or for CFS people?
Generally:
Should you still take Celebrex? Nearly a decade after reports first surfaced linking the prescription pain reliever celecoxib (Celebrex) to an increased risk of heart attack, and two years after the American Heart Association (AHA) warned against the drug for people at risk of heart problems, about 11 million prescriptions for it are still filled each year, often for arthritis, menstrual cramps, and acute pain....While celecoxib may be appropriate for a small number of patients, our reservations about it remain strong. Here's why:

It's probably harder on the heart. Although the evidence is mixed, some meta-analyses, which assess the combined data from many clinical trials, have linked celecoxib at higher or more frequent doses to an increased likelihood of heart attack compared with either a placebo or naproxen.

ahmo

I was on Celebrex. This was after I began experiencing chronic fatigue, before I collapsed w/ ME. I'm pretty sure that the heart palps started when I quit the Celebrex. This was before the problems linked to Vioxx and Celebrex were public. I wouldn't go there again.

I've found celery extract, or rather this combo, because I haven't tried it in any other form, to be an excellent anti-inflammatory.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm pretty sure that the heart palps started when I quit the Celebrex. This was before the problems linked to Vioxx and Celebrex were public. I wouldn't go there again.
I got an arrhythmia after taking only half a tab--won't go there again!

barbc56

It is good to be aware of the dangers of Celebrex though. That class of NSAIDS does have some risks

I thought the same. In fact I thought Celebrate was pulled off the market but looks like thid didn’t happen?

I think you are right and people have died because of developing cardiac conditions..

I would be hesitant about taking this medication at least for myself, but maybe there's reasoning behind it that would justify taking it even if you don’t run fevers. Perhaps it's at a low enough dose that's not dangerous. This is just speculation on my part and I need to make sure I've read all the sources in the above posts.

I have FM but dont run fevers so I would wonder if this treatment would only work for a subset of patients who have these symptoms?

I don’t know if there are even subsets in FM. My understanding is that FM is most likely to be a subset of mecfs. Sometimes I question if FM is a separate entity with similar symptoms.. Maybe they often occur together bur in some way connected.

Enough speculation on my part and hope others have information or sies that contain sites.

Certainly intriguing.