• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reminder: please do not campaign on behalf of Speight

JaimeS

Dr Speight has kindly asked people not to assemble or sign petitions in his name, as he is worried about impact on his case, which is ongoing.

Please do not assemble or sign petitions regarding Dr Speight, and please spread this information on any other platforms on which you are active. I know everyone means to help, but this is not the wish of the doctor himself.

Thanks,

Jaime

barbc56

Did I miss another thread on this as you say this is a reminder.

Thanks for posting this @JaimeS. as there may be others who missed this.

Countrygirl

@JaimeS

I am very puzzled by your information as it is quite contrary to the content of a conversation I had with him yesterday. I mentioned the petition and he said that he wished the patients good luck with it and that everyone must do what they wanted (within reason of course and remaining polite and not denigrating the person and her colleagues who caused this situation). It was the first time he had heard of the petition and he now has read it and there is no problem with it.

Can you direct me to the source of your information, please?
C.G

Countrygirl

I have just received an email from people trying to sign the petition but it is blocked at the moment. Dr NS is happy with the petition so I hope it is working again soon.

Countrygirl

Dr Speight has kindly asked people not to assemble or sign petitions in his name, as he is worried about impact on his case, which is ongoing.

Please do not assemble or sign petitions regarding Dr Speight, and please spread this information on any other platforms on which you are active. I know everyone means to help, but this is not the wish of the doctor himself.

Thanks,

Jaime

Just to repeat, although Dr NS requested in the beginning that the patients did not actually a campaign at that time, that the situation has now changed. It is up to the patients (within reason, obviously) what they do. I have received communication from him this morning and he confirms that although he has not initiated the petition he is very happy for it to continue and I am sure he appreciates the support. Please let us restore this petition as people are queuing up to sign it.

Thanks.

Countrygirl

Hi @Sasha, yes, thanks, I had assumed that but I am concerned that we are wasting time while people are emailing telling me they want to sign but it seems to have been taken down.

Can anyone pull some strings to get it reinstated, please? I have tried emailing MEAction, but perhaps s they are all tucked up in bed too while the UK wants to get signing.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi @Sasha, yes, thanks, I had assumed that but I am concerned that we are wasting time while people are emailing telling me they want to sign but it seems to have been taken down.

Can anyone pull some strings to get it reinstated, please? I have tried emailing MEAction, but perhaps s they are all tucked up in bed too while the UK wants to get signing.

Since @JaimeS took it down, I'd assume that no member of #MEAction would want to override that decision without discussing it with her.

I'm sure that anyone who wants to sign will still want to sign later today or tomorrow, if it goes back up. I know it's frustrating but, given that Dr Speight apparently told #MEAction that he positively didn't want a petition, it seems to me that they've behaved responsibly. If things have changed then they're presumably going to need to check that and take a view.

I understand that everyone wants to help Dr Speight but I don't think that a few hours are going to make a difference.

Countrygirl

Since @JaimeS took it down, I'd assume that no member of #MEAction would want to override that decision without discussing it with her.

I'm sure that anyone who wants to sign will still want to sign later today or tomorrow, if it goes back up. I know it's frustrating but, given that Dr Speight apparently told #MEAction that he positively didn't want a petition, it seems to me that they've behaved responsibly. If things have changed then they're presumably going to need to check that and take a view.

I understand that everyone wants to help Dr Speight but I don't think that a few hours are going to make a difference.

Thank you @Sasha.

NS hasn't actually 'spoken' to anyone about this, apart from an email communication a while ago when he asked that a petition not be started 'yet'. It is fine now though, if that is what patients want to do.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thank you @Sasha.

NS hasn't actually 'spoken' to anyone about this, apart from an email communication a while ago when he asked that a petition not be started 'yet'. It is fine now though, if that is what patients want to do.

It sounds as though he spoke with #MEAction:

JaimeS said:
Thank you, Bob. I've removed the petition from #MEAction. I'm sorry to the person who posted it, but we spoke with the Dr and he specifically asked us at #MEAction not to do this.

I apologize to the people who signed, as well.

However, let's wait and see what the doctor needs before we act.

Jaime

Given that they seem to have a direct line to him, I think they'll need to do their due diligence.

They clearly want to help him so let's give them a chance to get all their ducks in row! :)

JaimeS

@JaimeS

I am very puzzled by your information as it is quite contrary to the content of a conversation I had with him yesterday. I mentioned the petition and he said that he wished the patients good luck with it and that everyone must do what they wanted (within reason of course and remaining polite and not denigrating the person and her colleagues who caused this situation). It was the first time he had heard of the petition and he now has read it and there is no problem with it.

Can you direct me to the source of your information, please?
C.G

My source is his good friend Dr Charles Shepherd. Later, I also exchanged emails with Dr Speight, where he reiterated that he still didn't want petitions or anything at that time.

I've emailed him again to see if his wishes have changed. I understand that everyone really wants to help... and thanks to @Sasha... I was, in fact, asleep. :)

Jaime

JaimeS

Here are the exchanges I've had with the doctor himself, as of 10:30 AM EST, 4/29/2016:

Dr Speight,

Some PWME are stating that you have said you're happy to have them create petitions on your behalf. We took down a petition yesterday because of the wishes you conveyed earlier. Please let me know if this has changed.

Thanks,

Jaime

He replied,

Sorry about the confusion

I did indeed say postpone question of petition a few days/week ago, then when it took off after last week's ruling I though why not let it rip?

I am now reluctantly (after discussion with lawyer) back to initial position
Thanks

Wish me luck

I replied,

So, to clarify, you prefer to avoid petitions and the like? Do I have your permission to quote you on this?

The community is a bit puzzled right now. We all want so badly to help you, of course. :)

And he answered,

For the time being at least.... my legal advice is against [doing petitions and campaigning]

From the last response, I removed a few things I thought are best kept private.

Jaime

Countrygirl

I have just returned to my computer and found new emails from NS and all has changed after speaking with his lawyers this morning. Such a shame, but at least he does know that he has plenty of support.

I am sorry to hear that you were asleep @JaimeS . I hope you can get some more rest.

The petition was a lovely idea and it such a shame that the lawyers advised against it this morning, but they know best, of course.

PS I have PMd you so you know how this all transpired this morning.