• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GMC suspends Nigel Speight

aaron_c

Does anyone know if there is a document explaining why they ruled this way?

OK, just googled a little. I guess there was more history to this than I had thought: He wrote an op-ed in the Guardian attacking a GMC decision (unrelated to ME/CFS) back in 2007. I can see that he and GMC haven't been on friendly terms for some time.

Yes, would really like to know more about why this happened.

He has been involved in over 30 child protection cases supporting families whose children have ME, and been successful in most instances. Almost certainly this has brought him into conflict with others in the field, enough said. I heard him speak at the MEA Question Time in Oxford a couple years ago, and he's one of the best people in the field.

Sending him my best wishes.

Chrisb

It is time for the role and functioning of the GMC as a quasi judicial authority to be subjected to formal review. It seems unable to regulate itself.

It is almost as if there is afoot a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

charles shepherd

I have been in regular contact with my friend and colleague Dr Nigel Speight before, during and after the hearing to offer my full and continuing support

I have provided the General Medical Council with a detailed letter of support from The ME Association in relation to every aspect of his work involving children and adolescents with ME/CFS

I have also co-ordinated a joint letter of support from ME/CFS charities, professional colleagues and parents of children with ME/CFS in the UK and from abroad

This is clearly very sad news but I don't want to do or say anything more at this point

Dr Speight is also the MEA honorary paediatric medical adviser and we will be issuing a proper statement next week after the situation has been discussed by trustees on Monday (25th April)

MEA website statement with details of the restrictions imposed by the GMC:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...l-speights-licence-to-practice-23-april-2016/

Dr Charles Shepherd

Last edited:

Bob

@charles shepherd, I understand that you don't want to say anything more right now, but could you please pass on our best wishes from Phoenix Rising, and let him know that our gratitude and respect for his work has no bounds. Also, if he is able to appeal the GMC decision could you please raise the possibility of a crowdfund to help towards legal and/or administration expenses. I'm certain that we could set one up very quickly - immediately if required - and that it would draw quite a bit of interest from the community. There need be no work or involvement on the part of Dr Speight. All we would need to know is that it would be helpful. Let me know if you'd like to discuss this privately.

Last edited:

Chrisb

Question - is this enshrining abuse of very young ME patients in the UK and even much of Europe?

I think the question needs to be addressed in a slightly different form.

An adversarial legal system such as ours cannot function properly if one side is prevented from calling upon the expertise that it wishes to present. It seems to be coming to the point where you can call any expert as long as he/she supports the official line. If the courts are complicit in preventing the proper questioning of the state's case it is inevitable that miscarriages of justice will occur-as they always do. This is potentially a very serious matter for the integrity of the judicial system and the faith which the populace can be expected to have in it.

It may be that in the inquisitorial systems in place on the continent a decision such as this would have a different impact.

One recognises that it would be inappropriate to consider this too closely, but ask yourself, without commenting, what happens if Dr Speight has been instructed to advise and provide evidence in a an ongoing, purely hypothetical, case. Would it be possible for there now to be a fair hearing?

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The timing seems interesting.
The GMC has now put themselves under a microscope. Hope they enjoy the scrutiny.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/about/chief_executive.asp

The CEO comes for a previous job at something called The King's fund think tank.
A quote from their statement of values:
We act with integrity
We strive to do what's right and are not afraid to ‘speak truth to power’. We base our views on what the evidence tells us; we are open to new perspectives and ideas and are respectful of difference.

Orwellian!

Edit to add: I guess this is a move in a last ditch effort to do damage to people with ME and their supporters. The 'evidence' of PACE is still standing at the moment and the clock is ticking.

Chrisb

This quote from wiki suggests an unfortunate link between The Kings Fund and the Department of Health

INDEPENDENCE
Former NHS Trust Chief Executive Officer Gary Walker has claimed that the King's Fund has received over £511,000 from the Department of Health since 2010, (as of 10 April 2014)

Last edited: