• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tips for staging a screening of Forgotten Plague

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://www.forgottenplague.com/tips-for-forgotten-plague-screenings/

Tips for Forgotten Plague Promoters

1.) Have local doctors, advocates, scientists, patients, etc serve as guest speakers after the event for Q&A sessions

2.) Pick a “cool” venue. If your screening is at a place people see as “special” that will definitely help drive attendance up and make it seem like an exciting event to go to. (Maybe an historic independent theater in the town square, for instance…But you’ll know where the special places in your town are)

3.) Make it a fundraiser for a charity (Phoenix Rising, ME Association, crowdfunding campaign for OMF/Stanford or Columbia)…This helps with “branding” so your event has more sexiness because it’s connected to a high-brow group. Besides increasing your “brand” appeal, it’ll help defray costs. If you raised $2,000, for example, then you could subtract the cost of the screening license and then donate the rest to the charity you pick

4.) As far as driving attendance, find 5 friends as your core “planning committee” and then have each of them invite 10 people or being accountable for finding 10 more attendees. Or conversely, have 10 friends in your core committee and have each of them be accountable for recruiting 5-7 people. Divide and conquer so you don’t have to feel like you personally need to find 60-70 people.

5.) Corporate sponsors. A local company or storeowner that you have a relationship with could set up a table at your event. Call it a “gold sponsorship” and charge 100 bucks. Offer smaller “bronze” and “silver” sponsorships as well. They could advertise their products/services, give out free samples, coupons, etc. A couple low-cost sponsorships is another easy way to cover your costs. And bonus points if your sponsor is a pharma company, massage therapist, acupuncturist, or some other health company whose services directly cater to chronic illness patients.

6.) Use our Media Kit and our trailer on our website to get local media coverage in advance of your event.

7.) Use the promotional flyer template that our volunteer screenings team sends out. Post Forgotten Plague posters/flyers in and around your venue a few weeks before your event.

8.) When creating your core planning committee, think about who you can partner with. A local support group/doctor’s office/hospital is obviously one way to start. Groups like this would have a strong vested interest in seeing your event be successful. Another good example might be a church or another NGO concerned with social justice and equality issues.

Tom Kindlon

Some topics and themes that come up in the ME documentary, Forgotten Plague:
------------------

I'm working on a press release for the screenings of Forgotten Plague which will go out to national and some local media outlets. I decided I would watch it for a 3rd time to try to get some inspiration.

In case it is of interest to anybody, I've listed below points or themes that are mentioned in the film.

- sometimes it has a sudden onset and people can pinpoint exactly when they became ill

- There can be disbelief which may be due to the invisible nature of the condition

- People can struggle to get a diagnosis

- It can feel that your entire life has been stolen from you

- Often lose the ability to work

- Often struggle with education

- Covers the history of the illness

- Covers some of the symptoms including light sensitivity

- Mentions how some people can be severely affected including need a wheelchair and also so very severely affected (Whitney Dafoe). Mentions how some people can spend most of today lying down

- Mentions Ampligen

- How the illness can often be long-term

- How it can prevent people getting married or damage relationships. Or that a person will too ill to have children

-Highlights how some patients were active before the illness

- Highlights some research that is being done

- Highlights how it can affect one's ability to have a social life. One can be stuck at home a lot.

- Includes a radiologist (i.e. at former doctor who is a patient)

- Highlights how there has been a lack of research

- Highlights how the name Chronic Fatigue Syndrome trivialises the suffering of the condition.

BurnA

Some topics and themes that come up in the ME documentary, Forgotten Plague:
------------------

I'm working on a press release for the screenings of Forgotten Plague which will go out to national and some local media outlets. I decided I would watch it for a 3rd time to try to get some inspiration.

In case it is of interest to anybody, I've listed below points or themes that are mentioned in the film.

- sometimes it has a sudden onset and people can pinpoint exactly when they became ill

- There can be disbelief which may be due to the invisible nature of the condition

- People can struggle to get a diagnosis

- It can feel that your entire life has been stolen from you

- Often lose the ability to work

- Often struggle with education

- Covers the history of the illness

- Covers some of the symptoms including light sensitivity

- Mentions how some people can be severely affected including need a wheelchair and also so very severely affected (Whitney Dafoe). Mentions how some people can spend most of today lying down

- Mentions Ampligen

- How the illness can often be long-term

- How it can prevent people getting married or damage relationships. Or that a person will too ill to have children

-Highlights how some patients were active before the illness

- Highlights some research that is being done

- Highlights how it can affect one's ability to have a social life. One can be stuck at home a lot.

- Includes a radiologist (i.e. at former doctor who is a patient)

- Highlights how there has been a lack of research

- Highlights how the name Chronic Fatigue Syndrome trivialises the suffering of the condition.
Good summary Tom. Where is it being shown in Dublin ?