• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Repairing Mitochondria with NAD+, and other supplements

The subject of mitochondrial repair has interested me quite a bit, and I would love to make some gains in this area despite having Mercury poisoning and some bacterial issues.

The only supplement that has been recommended that I can see as repairing the mitochondria is NT Factor (by replacing lipids in the body apparently). This does seem to work for some from what I can tell.

I was recommended NAD+ on another site for mitochondrial repair. The issue is I am not sure if this actually REPAIRS the mitochondria or just ENERGIZES it. I am not sure if I want to do the later if I need to repair it.

Do these kinds of supplements like CoEnzymeQ10 and NAD+ actually offer benefit if you seek to repair the mitochondria? or should you avoid those ones and go for repair based supplements that may allow you to get more benefit from these other supplements later?

I am looking for a straight answer, personal experience is fine as long as it isn't just someone peddling me to change my diet since that is NOT relevant to this subject in the slightest. Plus I am working on my diet.

Violeta

There are so many places where mitochondrial function can go wrong.

If you have mercury poisoning, a good place to look would be to find out exactly where in the mitochondria mercury causes disfunction. Maybe you have already looked for that. If so, please excuse me.

Biotin has a very important part in Complex I, and if it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing in Complex I, there will be no heme for Complex IV or V, I forget at the moment, and the mitochondria will not be able to create ATP.

Have you read about pyroluria? or porphyria?

JES

I'm not sure you should be looking for a supplement to repair mitochondria, reading this long post states the average lifetime of a mitochondrion is only 2-4 weeks. Anyway, the linked post covers this topic extensively and excellently.

There are so many places where mitochondrial function can go wrong.

If you have mercury poisoning, a good place to look would be to find out exactly where in the mitochondria mercury causes disfunction. Maybe you have already looked for that. If so, please excuse me.

Biotin has a very important part in Complex I, and if it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing in Complex I, there will be no heme for Complex IV or V, I forget at the moment, and the mitochondria will not be able to create ATP.

Have you read about pyroluria? or porphyria?

I am really not sure why you bought Pyroluria up, I assume it's to do with the effect it has on B6?

And I am doing chelation (haven't gotten very far into it, though my energy levels on some days are better, along with minor improvements in cognitive functioning) at the moment, barely used ALA so far.

And you mentioned Complex 1, is there somewhere online where I can read about what supplements to take to support the complexes?

I'm not sure you should be looking for a supplement to repair mitochondria, reading this long post states the average lifetime of a mitochondrion is only 2-4 weeks. Anyway, the linked post covers this topic extensively and excellently.

That post is just perfect!

Thank you so much, just what I was looking for. I don't think I have a viral issue (my CFS gradually worsened, didn't start at a specific time though would be worse for a while after illnesses) but Mercury poisoning from a young age probably affected it, going to see if I should order one of those recommended supplements.