• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone tried Risperidone?

Bdeep86

Saw a couple anecdotal reports of this (and amisulpride) helping people. I got a script for it and about 5 minutes ago just tried a quarter of .5mg. I know you have to hit a sweet spot with this medication, just wondering if anyone has tried it before. Also pretty concerned about weight gain but i'm not sure that that can happen at the much much smaller doses. Thanks for any feedback.

A.B.

My impression is that research generally indicates low dopamine levels in CFS patients. An antipsychotic such as Risperidone will reduce these further. I'm also curious why anyone would use a sedating medication for CFS. The illness is characterized by reduced energy levels - it makes no sense to try and reduce them further.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have it for sleep. I haven't used it lately though when I did I took a really low dose. I've read about the weight gain too. I don't know if a low dose matters.

If you feel like eating everything in sight then stop. And monitor your weight. I know with Lyrica some said no matter what they did they gained weight.

My impression is that research generally indicates low dopamine levels in CFS patients. An antipsychotic such as Risperidone will reduce these further. I'm also curious why anyone would use a sedating medication for CFS. The illness is characterized by reduced energy levels - it makes no sense to try and reduce them further.

For insomnia perhaps??

Grigor

A friend is using Rispedone and has amazing results on his ME.
So very curious about it myself.
It does seem to help with neuroinflammation.

Hip

Grigor

Thank you. Very informative the other thread. Long posts haha. Can't handle all the text but saw some good stuff.

Also considering the Nitroglycerin

Grigor

@Hip, as it raises dopamine. Could it be depleting dopamine and well? Like with Parkinson. With L Dopa??
ME and Fibro are linked to lower dopamine. Right??

Hip

@Hip, as it raises dopamine. Could it be depleting dopamine and well? Like with Parkinson. With L Dopa??
ME and Fibro are linked to lower dopamine. Right??

Could you explain what you saying in more detail please; I am not following.

Grigor

When you use these medications at a low dosage it actually increases dopamine and seratonin.

@Hip was referring to this.

ME patients and Fibro seem to have low dopamine. Or might. So when upping the dopamine it could also deplete dopamine reserves like in Parkinson with L Dopa ?? And once that happens then you're in big trouble?

Last edited:

Hip

Dopamine is synthesized when needed, so I don't think there are any reserves to deplete.

Very low dose amisulpride (12.5 mg to 200 mg) does not actually increase dopamine levels, but rather activates the dopamine receptors, so this is like having elevated dopamine levels.

But higher doses of amisulpride do the reverse, and inhibit dopamine receptors.

If find 12.5 mg daily of amisulpride useful for several of my ME/CFS symptoms. Very low dose amisulpride activates the dopamine D2 and D3 receptors.

Activation of the D2 receptor on astrocytes has been shown to reduce neuroinflammation.

5% of ME/CFS were found to have autoantibodies to the dopamine D1 receptor, which will affect dopaminergic functioning.

To boost the dopaminergic system, you can either raise dopamine, activate (agonize) dopamine receptors, or you can take supplements or drugs like uridine or amantadine that actually create new dopamine receptors in the brain.

I posted a list of dopaminergic drugs and supplements here.

I'd really like to find a drug that activates the dopamine D1 receptor, as this is associated with pleasure and reward, and I suffer from anhedonia (= lack of feeling pleasure and reward).

sflorence

A while ago I read anecdotal reports of risperidone (Risperdal) leading to full remission from ME/CFS:

Risperdal at low dose - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

CFS treated by Risperdal at low dose

I tried risperidone at doses of 0.5 mg and 1 mg, but it did not seem to help my ME/CFS symptoms. However, it seems like a drug worth trying, just in case it does help someone. Risperidone is one Dr Goldstein's top 23 ME/CFS drugs.

I do get useful benefits from another neuroleptic drug amisulpride.

Hi Hip!

Just started this drug @ .5mg today, will keep this forum updated.

The second link doesn't work, any clue to why that is?

Also, I find it interesting how a lady posts her fatigue recovery story and everyone just ignores it LOL.... Zero responses on her post...

Side note: I have spoken to 2 people who have CURED their MCS from risperdal.

sflorence

Reporting back. Tried Risperdal at .5mg the first day and 1mg the next.

Nothing happened besides getting more lethargic/tired.

I am going to try .25mg next, but currently am experimenting with something else.
I read from that post that she felt good at .5 but not 1. So maybe I need to find my sweet spot.

choochoo

Hi Hip!

Just started this drug @ .5mg today, will keep this forum updated.

The second link doesn't work, any clue to why that is?

Also, I find it interesting how a lady posts her fatigue recovery story and everyone just ignores it LOL.... Zero responses on her post...

Side note: I have spoken to 2 people who have CURED their MCS from risperdal.

Hi

Is it possible for you to elaborate further on the two people you know of cured by Riperidone please?

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
When you use these medications at a low dosage it actually increases dopamine and seratonin.

That sounds like a hormesis type response. Challenge the system and it adapts to make more. Here's a study on it. The effect was mild so it's not a great antidepressant.

Depression symptoms improved modestly but significantly more in the risperidone group compared with the placebo group, as measured by clinician-rated symptom response and patient-rated self-assessment.
https://www.aafp.org/afp/2008/0901/...l,are resistant to antidepressant monotherapy.