• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L Carnitine Fumarate and NAG problems?

Hi all, I've recently started L-Carnitine Fumarate after hearing it was very important to the Krebs Cycle, for fatigue, and one of Freddds staples in the quartret, alongside N-acetyl glucosamine after reading about its anti-anxiety effects

Recently it's all been the opposite: I've gotten more anxious, more fatigued, even after just waking up, less social, and less cognitively functional.

I tried ALCAR in the past and reacted badly, I got symptoms of ACh dominance in the form of excess anxiety, slurring words, stuttering and mental retardation so I dropped it.

Can I just be reacting badly to the LCF? or is it possible that the N-acetyl glucosamine's acetylation is causing ACh dominance?

I'm not trying the methylation protocol since it gave me nasty anxiety, mental sluggishness and slurring. I'm using D-Ribose for Krebs cycle,vitamins A,C,E,K, p5p as the only b vit, molybdenum, iodine, zinc, magnesium, l-theanine and niacin every once in a while.

@Freddd please check this out if you can

Last edited:

Oberon

In my opinion it's more likely the LCF causing the anxiety than the NAG. I would recommend dropping both and then adding back one at a time for a few weeks to assess their impact on you.

In my opinion it's more likely the LCF causing the anxiety than the NAG. I would recommend dropping both and then adding back one at a time for a few weeks to assess their impact on you.
That's what I was thinking. I tried them both this morning before posting the thread, but after skipping the second dose I felt better. I'm just hoping someone can chime in on why.

CCC

You might have tried too large a dose. If you're very sensitive to something, then you won't need much at all.

Somewhere on PR, Freddd had advised people to get liquid LCF, start just a drop diluted in a glass of water, and slowly increase from there. It's the old 'start low and go slow' approach that many here advocate.

You might have tried too large a dose. If you're very sensitive to something, then you won't need much at all.

Somewhere on PR, Freddd had advised people to get liquid LCF, start just a drop diluted in a glass of water, and slowly increase from there. It's the old 'start low and go slow' approach that many here advocate.
Maybe so, I started with half a cap of 855mg and worked up to the full pill in a week. I'll give it a shot in two weeks again

CCC

Maybe so, I started with half a cap of 855mg and worked up to the full pill in a week. I'll give it a shot in two weeks again
We had to spend some time working UP to half a capsule a day, and we've never been able to take more.

We had to spend some time working UP to half a capsule a day, and we've never been able to take more.
Jeez, it's that strong? Or are you just very sensitive? I'm the sensitive type but I didn't start feeling some cognitive impairment until two or three days in, I wrongly attributed it to lack of sleep even though it might've played its part in my symptoms

CCC

Jeez, it's that strong? Or are you just very sensitive? I'm the sensitive type but I didn't start feeling some cognitive impairment until two or three days in, I wrongly attributed it to lack of sleep even though it might've played its part in my symptoms
Many people need to start with much, much less.

Oberon

That's what I was thinking. I tried them both this morning before posting the thread, but after skipping the second dose I felt better. I'm just hoping someone can chime in on why.

Presuming this study holds some validity to humans and carries to LCF it may explain some reasoning on why: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22549035

Increased norepinephrine and decrease GABA sounds like a good formula for anxiety to me.