• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Koroshetz to Talk on ME/CFS at Neurology Conference

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Interesting snippet from Cort's blog:

Cort Johnson said:
Speaking of communicating, Dr. Koroshetz recently reported that one of the things he’ll be talking about at the huge American Academy of Neurology Conference this next week is NINDS and the NIH’s new commitment to chronic fatigue syndrome.

He’ll probably get quite a bit of attention – his institute, after all, spends over $1 billion dollars on neurology research every year. He’ll surely be using the conference to tell neurologists to start applying for ME/CFS grants.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Oh!
That would be cool!
When, where and to whom did Koroshetz report that he'd be talking about "cfs"?

All I know is what I read in that snippet, I'm afraid - but you could post the question on Cort's blog and ask him.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Oh!
That would be cool!
When, where and to whom did Koroshetz report that he'd be talking about "cfs"?
All I know is what I read in that snippet, I'm afraid - but you could post the question on Cort's blog and ask him.

Oh! I see you did, and he said:

Cort said:
An ME/CFS patient from British Columbia (where the conference is being held) asked him about spreading the word on ME/CFS to combat misperceptions and he said he was going to talk about NINDS and NIH plans to invigorate research there.

and you said:

Denise said:
I wonder when he is going to do so – it would seem it would be unofficially because in the program (https://www.aan.com/uploadedFiles/W...ENCES/1.Annual_Meeting/16AMAbstracListing.pdf) I only find him co-presenter on an abstract.

You did a better job looking than I did - I was looking for ages on that site and couldn't find him anywhere. I pity the poor doctors who are trying to find their way around the conference programme!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Ah! More in Cort's comments section:

Hello said:
I also found him here http://tools.aan.com/annualmeeting/...=home.detail&id=4857&keyword=&topic=&type=all , perhaps trying to bring new blood to our task.

C4 – Research Career Development Symposium: How to Be Successful in Academic Neuroscience

Event Time: Friday April 15, 2016 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

Topic(s): Research Methodology, Education, and History

Director(s): Conrad Weihl MD, PhD, Jaishri Blakeley MD

Description: This program will provide information to early stage neurologists who are embarking on an academic career in neurological research with a focus on acquiring a career development award.

Didactic lectures and small group sessions will focus on preparing for competitive grant submissions to the NIH, major foundations, and the American Brain Foundation, as well as core principles of publishing impactful reports, academic career development, and productive mentor-mentee relationships.

Attendees will receive information critical to their transition from residency, fellowship, and early faculty to investigative independence in academic neurology. In order to facilitate the mentoring sessions, attendees are asked to identify their interest in basic or clinical research and their specific area of interests for research.

Completion Message: Participants should gain essential information about the core components of a successful K award application and other mentored career development grants; developing and maintaining productive mentor-mentee relationships; guidelines for development of a successful research career (finding the right question); strategies for successful scientific writing and suggestions for addressing the competing demands that are common at the start of an academic career.

CME Credits: 8
Core Competencies:
Program Speakers – Tentative
Start/End Time Title Faculty

10:05 AM – 10:35 AM NINDS Career Development Programs. How and why? Walter Koroshetz MD, FAAN