• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reactive Arthritis

rosie26

Quite a long list of ways you can get reactive arthritis. Some of these are new to me.

http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/j159.html

The following are just some of the infections that can cause reactive arthritis: Salmonella, Mononucleosis, parvovirus, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus, retroviruses, Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, ureaplasma, gonorrhea, gardnerella, Human T Cell Leukemia Virus-1, many different intestinal infections, Lyme disease,
cytomegalovirus, streptococcal sore throat, cat scratch disease, human herpes virus-6, hemophilus influenza bacteria, AIDS (HIV), and staph aureus.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Quite a long list of ways you can get reactive arthritis. Some of these are new to me.

http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/j159.html

The following are just some of the infections that can cause reactive arthritis: Salmonella, Mononucleosis, parvovirus, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus, retroviruses, Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, ureaplasma, gonorrhea, gardnerella, Human T Cell Leukemia Virus-1, many different intestinal infections, Lyme disease,
cytomegalovirus, streptococcal sore throat, cat scratch disease, human herpes virus-6, hemophilus influenza bacteria, AIDS (HIV), and staph aureus.

Dear Rosie,
This is not mainstream medicine. This is not how reactive arthritis is defined by rheumatologists. It seems to be written by some sort of alternative or fringe practitioner who has muddled a lot of categories up. I suspect it is a medical advert in fact - to get people to pay for his treatment. It is the sort of thing we are better off without.

Reactive arthritis is a specific term included in the seronegative spondarthropathy group. It does not include post-streptococaal arthritis or the post viral syndromes. Sure there are lots of post infective types of arthritis but treating them all with antibiotics is more or less negligence.

msf

And they left out Yersinia, Camplyobacter, and Shigella, three of the most common causes.

rosie26

Dear Rosie,
This is not mainstream medicine. This is not how reactive arthritis is defined by rheumatologists. It seems to be written by some sort of alternative or fringe practitioner who has muddled a lot of categories up. I suspect it is a medical advert in fact - to get people to pay for his treatment. It is the sort of thing we are better off without.

Reactive arthritis is a specific term included in the seronegative spondarthropathy group. It does not include post-streptococaal arthritis or the post viral syndromes. Sure there are lots of post infective types of arthritis but treating them all with antibiotics is more or less negligence.
Ok, thank you.

Last edited: