• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Gabapentin (Neurontin) for ME" (April 13) by cfssufferer

Martial

I was prescribed gabapentin off label for anxiety and panic attacks many, many years ago. That stuff can have some pretty negligible side effects but I did hear it prevents some kind of brain processing while on the drug.

SilverbladeTE

I was prescribed gabapentin off label for anxiety and panic attacks many, many years ago. That stuff can have some pretty negligible side effects but I did hear it prevents some kind of brain processing while on the drug.

"Negligible" ? think you mean the opposite, surely? :)
varies by person quite a lot as to the severity and pro/con.
I have to take it at quite a low dose or it really messes me up, but the low does helps :)

hellytheelephant

I was prescribed Gabapentin for chronic pain...and it had some really unpleasant side effects etc hallucination, paranoia etc. I know some people who have had vile side effects and others who cannot imagine life without it.

Strawberry

I have to take it at quite a low dose or it really messes me up, but the low does helps :)
@SilverbladeTE what dose do you take? Also, how do you deal with the tolerance issue? When I tried it, I could only take a certain level for 3 days then I had to take one pill more. Then 3 days later take one pill more... Do you stagger days on, days off? I have thought about giving gabapentin a 2nd chance. I just don't want to deal with constantly titrating up.

Martial

"Negligible" ? think you mean the opposite, surely? :)
varies by person quite a lot as to the severity and pro/con.

When I was on it the most I remember were seizure like episodes with my brain, and a lot of drowsiness during the day, it was very easy to wean off and it always concerned the state of my liver health while I was on it.

helios

I was prescribed gabapentin off label by my CFS doc as he was experimenting with his patients with some of Goldstein's recommendations. When I first used it I loved it and thought I was going to be one of these overnight recoveries that I read about in articles written by Dr. Goldstein. I just felt close to 100% on it, but then it wore off after 5 days. I stayed on it for weeks, and upped the dose hoping for a comeback, but unfortunately it was now like taking a sugar pill. I had a break from it them tried it again, and got the great effect again, but now only for about 2 days. For a few years there I used it by going off and on - 2 weeks off 2 days on.
I tried something similar, I think valpoic acid and also the next generation of gabapentin (forget its name) which was marketed more as pain signal blocker. No great boost to well-being but it was a good sleep aid.