• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suzanne O'Sullivan (author of "It's All in Your Head") on Irish national radio (April 13)

Dolphin

(Not a recommendation)

‘Medicine is an art’ according to Dr Suzanne O’Sullivan. Her career has made her something of an authority on illnesses that originate not in the body but in the mind. She has chosen to share what she has learned, observed and theorized in the book “It’s All in Your Head: True Stories of Imaginary Illness” which is out now in paperback and she talks to Ray this afternoon

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/#2156772

Link for page:
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray

Last edited:

Dolphin

ME comes up in the last 2 minutes (starts around 13:13). She does say there is a lot of disagreement so it is less definite than the rest of the interview. She says she thinks it is largely maintained by behavioural and psychological factors.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
As she completely sidesteps the problem of what might cause it.
I suppose that becomes unimportant once you understand that ME is just one of those things that would go away again if sufferers just let it, like the common cold. It's only serious if we keep ourselves ill. I wonder if there are any other illnesses that sufferers can maintain for decades with false illness beliefs, you don't really hear of them often do you? I'd like to see one of these psychobabblers maintain a cold for 30 years, just to show us how it's done. Why can it only be done with ME? And what is the mechanism by which my thoughts influence my physical symptoms to such a degree?

She does leave a lot of questions unanswered.

Dolphin

Another Suzanne O'Sullivan interview on "It’s All in Your Head" book on Irish national radio today (Wednesday).

I can't see a time but it starts after the halfway point, after Mars landing and dog hugging.

No mention of ME I think in this but she said "negative" things about Fibromyalgia following a question from a member of the public.

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/8/26945/27th_April_2016_-_Moncrieff_Part_2/

Dear Suzanne O'Sullivan,

I am contacting you in relation to your book 'Its All in your head'. As a trained doctor you will be aware of the need to differentiate between real organic biological illnesses backed up by scientific research findings and clinical findings on one hand and psychosomatic and imagined illnesses on the other hand. There are vast differences between and one should not mix them up. Failure to carry out accurate lab tests with high sensitivity and specificity should not not be an excuse to label patients 'psychosomatic'. I remember one case where an Irish medical doctor claimed a woman had 'woman problems, depression and neurosis' and recommended a psychiatrist for her, when in fact she had Cancer. She died from Cancer because the Irish doctor was happy enough to label her psychosomatic (and insult her for being a woman). Many doctors are too dismissive of patients today, pointing to a lack of professionalism, thoroughness and integrity. In the Chapter 'Rachel' you portray ME / CFS as an imaginary illness based on false beliefs, and this subjective belief of yours is reinforced throughout the book. You will need to educate yourself about certain medical and scientific facts concerning ME and CFS, which I have itemised below
- Firstly in 2015 the NIH and IOM recognised ME / CFS as a serious, biological, physical, multisystem disease in it's report and re-named it SEID. They used extensive research and medical doctors and scientists with expertise in the illness to develop this report and name change.
- There is scientific evidence of infections and immune system, neurological, endocrine, mitochondria and cardiac abnormalities in ME and CFS, please read www.me-ireland.com/scientific.htm
- There are diagnostic protocols and biomarkers for the illness, readhttp://www.me-ireland.com/structure.htm#8 I am in corespondence with senior NIH officials involved in verifying these biomarkers in subgroups of patients, through ongoing intra mural and extra mural studies. I have found the NIH personnel to be very respectful and professional in their work and attitudes. There is no room for psychosomatic nonsense and it's lies.
- Many of your psychological assertions have been analysed and debunked on www.me-ireland.com/bogus.htm
- For a good overview of ME, CFS and Fibromyalgia, please readwww.me-ireland.com

I am sure this will provide you with the necessary information to clear up your misunderstandings.

Best Regards
David Egan