• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ashwagandha for undermethylation

Hi there has anyone tried Ashwagandha for Undermethylation symptoms? I didn't find any contra-indications on internet or pubmed, or perhaps this combination hasn't been studied so far. Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.
K

mango

According to Ayurvedic principles one should avoid combining Ashwagandha with barbituates and other sleep medications/sedatives.

People with very weak metabolism might not get the desired effect of Ashwagandha (or will have to gently stimulate the metabolism first, if appropriate in their particular case).

Also, not really an contra-indication, but something to consider: Ashwagandha has quite powerful purifying qualities, so it's important to make sure that the... ehrm, evacuation of the bowels (I believe that's the medical term?) is working properly while taking Ashwagandha.

I've found the last two to resonate with my own experience (I've never used barbituates or sleep medications, so have no personal experience of that aspect). I haven't used Ashwagandha specifically for methylation purposes, but more for general symptom relief in combination with many other Ayurvedic measures.

Last edited:

actup

Hi kkrathi! I had a wonderful pain psychologist several years ago who also has me/cfs. He swore by ashwaganda and used it three times per day and suggested the same regimen for his patients.Guess it is short acting. I noticed mild decrease of the brain fog feeling when compliant but unable at that time to manage a x3/day drug. Did not use very consistently.

The other issue for me was needing to detox from lead per my naturopath. Ashwaganda supplements use both roots and leaves ( plants grown in lead contaminated soil in China and India) The roots have higher concentration of lead.

Maybe there are clean sources available now.

PeterPositive

Hi kkrathi! I had a wonderful pain psychologist several years ago who also has me/cfs. He swore by ashwaganda and used it three times per day and suggested the same regimen for his patients.Guess it is short acting. I noticed mild decrease of the brain fog feeling when compliant but unable at that time to manage a x3/day drug. Did not use very consistently.

The other issue for me was needing to detox from lead per my naturopath. Ashwaganda supplements use both roots and leaves ( plants grown in lead contaminated soil in China and India) The roots have higher concentration of lead.
Take a look here:
https://www.consumerlab.com/news/ashwagandha_review/01_06_2015/

ETA: the review is behind a paywall but among all products tested (the names are in that page) none of them "exceeded contamination limits for lead, cadmium or arsenic".

Last edited: