• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there any enzymes recommended for polycystic kidney disease ?

Peyt

Hi,
I have heard there is a enzyme that helps reduce polycystic kidney disease, any idea what kind of enzyme that is? Is it serrapeptase?
Thanks

barbc56

I know very little about enzymes but I would be very careful using any OTC medication that claims to be a treatment for kidney problems.

Are you seeing a nephrologist? I would think that would be the best place to get this information.

I have just been diagnosed with kidney issues. At first, some of the therapies seemed counterintuitive until my urologist explained what was going on and why these therapies, at least at this point in time, are considered the best medical practice gathered from studies, clinical experience and what is known about the physiological mechanisms of the kidneys.

I also found several related Internet forums as well as useful information on the web pages from the urology/nephrology departments from several major medical centers. On some you can leave comments and ask questions. Of course any answers have limitations and any answers as far as diagnosis would be unethical. The University of Chicago has this type of format. At least for my medical condition.

Do you also have me/cfs?

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Hip

One forum member observed a complete disappearance of her fibroids (a disappearance confirmed by ultrasound) after just a few weeks taking tempol, a spin trap agent. See this post.

Tempol can be obtained from here: http://tempol.info

Typical dose is 10 mg to 50 mg daily.

Last edited:

Hip

Fibroids can shrink and even disappear on their own.

Within two weeks? I understand tempol cleared the fibroids in two weeks. Also, if I remember correctly, they rapidly came back on discontinuation of tempol years later.

I had a very interesting experience myself with taking tempol 20 mg daily. On my right ankle, for many years I had a red patch of skin around 3 inches across that looked like psoriasis or eczema. I did not bother to see a dermatologist, so I don't know for sure. But psoriasis is more frequently found in ME/CFS.

This patch of red skin would often nearly disappear whenever I took any supplement or drug known to help psoriasis; but then the red patch would return when I stopped taking the supplement.

However, when I started taking tempol, within a week, the red patch disappeared, and it never returned (it has been gone for two years).

I am not sure of the mechanism, since psoriasis is thought to be autoimmune, and tempol is superoxide dismutase (SOD) mimetic that is able to act as SOD1, SOD2, SOD3 and catalase (tempol is also cell-permeable).

barbc56

@Hip

These are ancedotal experiances and this kind of information can be misleading as far as drawing any conclusions.

We have all heard correlation is not the same as causation. Memory can be tricky and sometimes medical conditions get better without interventions. On the other hand some of these treatments may turn out to be effective and work. The problem is that we simply don't have enough information to know for sure if it's either way or somewhere in between.

You cited which enzyme, which is fine.

When the conversation starts talking about a treatment that's a personal opinion as a fact, you're getting into slippery situation. This has happened to all of us at one time or another. The intent is to be helpful but what we are posting can easily veer towatds medical advice without even realizing this is happening. Sometimes it depends on the situation. .

The bottom line is that @Peyt has a medical condition that is very very complicated. His doctor needs to be the one to consult about this type of information. Sometimes, that's really the best advice we can give. Describe your experience while realizing we are not medical professionals nor experts but at the same time encouraging the person to talk with his/her doctor.

I am not a moderator nor is it my intention to speak for them. This is my perspective, my opinion and it may be incorrect.

Last edited:

Hip

These are ancedotal experiances and this kind of information can be misleading.

How can an anecdotal experience be misleading, if it is clearly presented as an anecdotal account, as mine was?

barbc56

How can an anecdotal experience be misleading, if it is clearly presented as an anecdotal account, as mine was?

For diagnostic purposes. I wasn't saying you were misleading. Apologies if that wasn't clear. I changed the wording. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited: