• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ted Talk: The surprising habits of original thinkers 4/1/16 Adam Grant (15 mins)

alex3619

Interesting. I am not so sure of the "science" but philosophically I try to do some these things, deliberately. Like everything important needs to be questioned. Questioning and thinking. However this is pie in the sky without evidence. Evidence and reason, and question, question, question, are at the core of my philosophy.

When I was at uni I used to rush in, get material, and start to research and outline my papers. I would do this whenever I had energy, so if it crashed I would be mostly done anyway. However I rarely finished early. I used to think about the issues. Then finish just before they were due.

Thinking takes time. Thinking through options takes more time than just following rules. I think that allows for more creativity because you have time to think outside of the narrow box you are forced into if in too much of a hurry to get it done.

Hmmm, maybe I rushed into this response too fast. Let me think about it.

sarah darwins

Interesting. I am not so sure of the "science" but philosophically I try to do some these things, deliberately.

I think you summarise the limitations of psychology rather nicely! A blend of science and 'other stuff'.

It was good to hear this guy — an organisational psychologist (who knew?) — acknowledging the limitations of his own theory, as with the case of Wagner "I don't know why this guy did so well".