• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'The Skills We All Need to Move Past “Anti-Science” and “Us”' ( Hilda Bastian)

barbc56

This looks very interesting. I haven't had a chance to follow all the links but certainly want to at a later date. I'm on a reading overload, atm.

Is this the same person who did the cartoon on the history of the Andrew Wakefield debacle? I have it filed away somewhere but can't find it. It has a similar format but more writing.

Thanks!

Dolphin

Is this the same person who did the cartoon on the history of the Andrew Wakefield debacle? I have it filed away somewhere but can't find it. It has a similar format but more writing.

Thanks!
I don't know for certain but sounds like it could have been her

alex3619

Looks interesting. I have come to many of the same conclusions, which is why I support Evidence Based Practice, but not Evidence Based Medicine.

My BSc courses claimed to teach critical thinking, but my own experience was this is rare and dogmatic thinking common. Science degrees do not always teach critical thinking, especially in a climate of increasing budget cuts and cost savings to higher education. I saw this particularly in tutorials run by advanced medical students. Now some of the lecturers, who were mostly researchers, seemed to have a good grasp of critical thinking. Its hard for me to judge how many did not though.

Critical thinking is hard. It requires training and discipline. Its not just about intelligence.

aaron_c

Critical thinking is hard. It requires training and discipline. Its not just about intelligence.

I feel like I am learning so much more about all aspects of critical thinking in science from the PACE fiasco.

Soapbox warning.

Although Hilda listed some problems that have solutions (open access research, enforcing rules on conflict of interest, further use of pubmed commons, separation of drug companies from their own product testing, et) I think some of the problems that create research bias are too human to for us to ever eliminate entirely, or even almost entirely. Unless we financially sanction bad research, bad researchers, and bad spin-doctors (think of the scientists hired by the fossil fuel industry to make global warming into a debate) I imagine money will continue to pollute any debate it wants to. And being from USA, where free speech is a constitutional right, I cannot think that presenting bad research in a good light should be illegal unless one can prove a motive to deceive. If we stifle expression, we stifle the emergence of the next paradigm. Science has almost never not been perverted for political or monetary gain (the exception, I would assume, would be when science was regarded as crazy). As long as money talks, we will continue to have public policy debates based on inaccurate or misleading studies.

Can we make our systems better? Yes. Can we improve upon human nature? That is more or less up to each individual.

I would actually like to see moderated debates between the two sides in some of these intellectual conflicts. Sort of like an unofficial court of law, where one would submit a paper as evidence, and then the other could dispute the validity of that evidence. Appeals to authority would of course be invalid. Perhaps then we could at least get all the cards on the table. As things stand right now, it is much more like two people yelling at each other from across the room--neither one responding to what the other had to say.

barbc56

@aaron_c
Thanks for that.

It really is part of the human condition. That doesn't mean it's right or justified but it's critical to keep in mind to prevent biases as much as humanly possible.

This especially stood out for me.

When it comes to research results, would you take this study as seriously if its conclusions were the opposite? If not, that’s another sign to be careful