• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Regulatory T, natural killer T and γδ T cells in multiple sclerosis and ME/CFS

Kati

Patient in training
From Facebook:

Dear Supporters,
The team at NCNED would again like announce their latest scientific paper that has been accepted for publication. We would like to thank all the supporters and participants who assist us in our research.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27001659

Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2016 Mar 20. doi: 10.12932/AP0733. [Epub ahead of print]
Regulatory T, natural killer T and γδ T cells in multiple sclerosis and chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: a comparison.
Ramos S1, Brenu E, Broadley S, Kwiatek R, Ng J, Nguyen T, Freeman S, Staines D, Marshall-Gradisnik S.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME), and Multiple Sclerosis (MS) may share some similarities in relation to reduced NK cell activity. It is likely that other cells such as regulatory T (Tregs), invariant Natural Killer T (iNKT) and gamma delta T (γδ T) cells may also be dysregulated in CFS/ME and MS.

OBJECTIVES:
To evaluate and compare specific immune regulatory cells of patients with CFS/ME, patients with MS and healthy controls.

METHODS:
Sixty three volunteers were included in this study, 24 were CFS/ME patients, 11 MS patients and 27 healthy controls. Blood samples were obtained from all the participants for flow cytometer analysis of iNKT cell, Tregs and γδ T cell phenotypes.

RESULTS:
We observed significant increase in Tregs in the CFS/ME group (p≤0.005) compared with the healthy controls group. Total γδ and γδ 2 T cells were significantly reduced in the MS patients in comparison with the healthy controls group. Conversely, CD4+iNKT percentage of iNKT, was significantly increased in the CFS/ME group compared with healthy controls and double negative iNKT percentage of iNKT significantly decreased compared with the healthy controls group.

CONCLUSION:
This study has not identified immunological disturbances that are common in both MS and CFS/ME patients. However differential expression of cell types between the conditions investigated suggests different pathways of disease. These differences need to be explored in further studies.

Last edited:

halcyon

I wonder if the increased population of Tregs is the basis for the announcement that they're working on a diagnostic screening test for CFS:
The majority of the news coverage on their announcement said they will be using their SNP findings as the basis of the screening test but there has been no official confirmation of this as far as I know.

tango

I saw a Facebook post on this and I would like to understand what we can do to activate/inactivate the T cells. Can someone explain to me in plain English what the implications are (other than taking anti-histamines).

I have these genetics mutations (8 of the 9 that are tested on 23andme / ancestry DNA) and CFS for as long as I can remember. I'd love a solution.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1146423695382108&id=668626073161875&ref=bookmarks
image.png

tango

@tango
I'm no expert, but that reads like rubbish to me.....
Which part? The Griffiths University study that says there are 13 genes indicated in chronic fatigue syndrome or the T cells bit?

I've done a lot of biohacking and learned a lot about health but the whole T-cell thing is a mystery to me. I don't really understand it. I just know that:
  • Of the genes I've had typed 8/9 have mutations so I can relate to the study
  • SAM-e/methionine lower histamine (among other things) and they help with my pain. I do take it with tyrosine and I have been playing with separating them to try and work out which does what. It seems to me that the combination is synergistic and better than either on their own
Maybe it's all a red herring. I wish the study said more about the proposed solution and not just the genes,

Thirteen SNPs were significantly associated with CFS patients compared with the controls.

New research findings may shed new light on the potential cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).

Researchers from Griffith University's National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases (NCNED) -- part of the new Menzies Health Institute Queensland, Australia -- have uncovered significant factors contributing to the pathology of this illness.

The results reveal genetic changes in important receptors associated with immunological and cellular function and contribute to the development of this complex illness.

"These findings have been achieved through a team effort involving researchers, patients, funding bodies, clinicians and the support of Griffith University and the Queensland Government," say chief investigators Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik and Professor Donald Staines.

Co-researcher and consultant immunologist Professor Pete Smith said that important signalling mechanisms are disrupted as a result of these genetic changes involving the detection and response to threats.

"These are primitive genes that are involved in many cellular signals in the brain, gut, cardiovascular and immune systems, as well as in the mediation of pain."
http://www.la-press.com/examination...rphisms-snps-in-transient-recep-article-a4824

knackers323

Anyone seen prof smith or know what is happening with the test Griffith were planning to commercialize?