• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Know of a Good PCP or NP in San Diego?

Jennifer J

Hi, Everyone.

I'm in great need of a good (supportive or some knowledge of ME/CFS) Primary Care Physician or NP in San Diego. I'm Medicare/MediCal.

I've been searching high and low, in every way I can think of, to little avail for years. (I'd have more options if I had cash. Isn't that usually the case.)

In the past, I've been to CHWB here, some swear by them, others not. I've run into too many errors there and other. Dr. Moss has also been recommended. He's a good doctor. Problem is you have to pay up front and get reimbursed for the Medicare part. He doesn't take MediCal. (I could only afford to see him twice over the years. I can't anymore) I don't think he sees patients as a PCP, anyways.

I hope someone knows of a good Primary Care Doctor or NP that they can share with me. Please post, or PM me if you like.

Thank you. :hug:

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Is there anyone that you can see through Scripps? I wish I knew of a specific person but don't know SD well enough. I've had the same problem and searched for a PCP in the LA for years to no avail. My mom finally found someone that I am seeing in April and I can't even remember how she found him. Keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

Jennifer J

Is there anyone that you can see through Scripps? I wish I knew of a specific person but don't know SD well enough. I've had the same problem and searched for a PCP in the LA for years to no avail. My mom finally found someone that I am seeing in April and I can't even remember how she found him. Keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

@Gingergrrl, thank you for the Scripps suggestion and crossing your fingers for me too!:) I'll check into Scripps again. By chance, is there a reason you thought there might be a good doctor there? Sorry you've been searching for a PCP for years, too. It seems to be the case for most of us. I'm glad your mom was able to find someone for you to see next month. I hope hit the jackpot.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl, thank you for the Scripps suggestion and crossing your fingers for me too!:) I'll check into Scripps again. By chance, is there a reason you thought there might be a good doctor there? Sorry you've been searching for a PCP for years, too. It seems to be the case for most of us. I'm glad your mom was able to find someone for you to see next month. I hope hit the jackpot.

Hi Jennifer, The only reason I mentioned Scripps is b/c I traveled there for a consult with a cardio last year. It was a one-time consult and overall was not that helpful but he was a nice person and the Scripps system seemed pretty comprehensive with tons of doctors and locations. It is three hours south of me so not realistic for me but if it is close to you, I thought they might have more variety of PCP's to choose from (but I could be wrong.)

I see my new PCP the first week of April and am very grateful my mom found him and made the appt b/c if he is good, am hoping he can help me to coordinate some treatments that I will need. Thank you for your good wishes in this and hoping you find someone soon, too.

Jennifer J

Hi again. Still looking. Bump of my original post here. The rarely ending search. Years of searching to find a good one that has some knowledge of ME/CFS and is supportive. Have had 2, then they retired. :(

Hope someone in SD knows of one for me. See below for details please. Thank you. :)

Hi, Everyone.

I'm in great need of a good (supportive or some knowledge of ME/CFS) Primary Care Physician or NP in San Diego. I'm Medicare/MediCal.

I've been searching high and low, in every way I can think of, to little avail for years. (I'd have more options if I had cash. Isn't that usually the case.)

In the past, I've been to CHWB here, some swear by them, others not. I've run into too many errors there and other. Dr. Moss has also been recommended. He's a good doctor. Problem is you have to pay up front and get reimbursed for the Medicare part. He doesn't take MediCal. (I could only afford to see him twice over the years. I can't anymore) I don't think he sees patients as a PCP, anyways.

I hope someone knows of a good Primary Care Doctor or NP that they can share with me. Please post, or PM me if you like.

Thank you. :hug:

Davsey27

Hi Jennifer,

I'm not aware of any in that area.It can be challenging finding a doctor aware of me/cfs if you Google the medi-cal doctors under your plan if you have managed medi-cal

I think if you have healthnet or straight medi-cal you may be able to see stanford through telehealth

Another option may be considering finding a PCP who has good reviews in general.Sometimes even if a doctor is not knowledgable of me/cfs they may be open to trying different treatments if you can bring in some evidence of treatments that may have helped individuals with me/cfs

Hi again. Still looking. Bump of my original post here. The rarely ending search. Years of searching to find a good one that has some knowledge of ME/CFS and is supportive. Have had 2, then they retired. :(

Hope someone in SD knows of one for me. See below for details please. Thank you. :)

Hey Jennifer J,

I've tried to respond here a couple times. Are any of my messages going through? I created an account with the main purpose of reaching out to you. :) I'm still figuring my way around here, so maybe my messages are here and I don't know what I'm doing, lol. ;)

Jennifer J

Hey Jennifer J,

I've tried to respond here a couple times. Are any of my messages going through? I created an account with the main purpose of reaching out to you. :) I'm still figuring my way around here, so maybe my messages are here and I don't know what I'm doing, lol. ;)

Hi @L.A. Awww this is the first message I've seen of yours on this thread. I was looking to see if there was a private message but I think cause you're new and have only posted a few times can't private message yet. (I think that's how it works.;))

Anyways, I was just laying in bed thinking of you. (I read your intro thread earlier.) Trying to think if I knew of any doctors for you yet cause of my thread don't think I can be of much help. I do agree (yet only glanced at it and some) with what Mary and others wrote.

So frustrating the things you wrote of, the neverending trying to get help and you can't cause of their xyz reasons, insurance reasons or it's money you don't have, etc. Don't want to derail this thread. I'll try to respond more when I can on your intro thread when I think of things. :hug: to you with all you're dealing with. Ahhh and welcome to San Diego. :)

Last edited:
Hi @L.A. Awww this is the first message I've seen of yours on this thread. I was looking to see if there was a private message but I think cause you're new and have only posted a few times can't private message yet. (I think that's how it works.;))

Anyways, I was just laying in bed thinking of you. (I read your intro thread earlier.) Trying to think if I knew of any doctors for you yet cause of my thread don't think I can be of much help. I do agree (yet only glanced at it and some) with what Mary and others wrote.

So frustrating the things you wrote of, the neverending trying to get help and you can't cause of their xyz reasons or it's money you don't have, etc. Know it well. Don't want to derail this thread. I'll try to respond more when I can on your intro thread when I think of things. :hug: to you with all you're dealing with. Ahhh and welcome to San Diego. ;)

Hi Jennifer J!

Yay, I got this one! :)

Yeah, I moved to SD recently from L.A. Any luck in your local doctor search? I was thinking it would be great to compare notes. I'd love to hear about your experience with CHWB in detail too. I do have my first appt. with them coming up, but I also found another doc that can get me in sooner. As soon as I can send a message, I will PM my phone number. It's kind of a lot of notes to write out that I can share, though your profile says something like, "This member limits who can view their profile" and I don't see a PM button, though again, that could just be because I'm new, but I did find where I can "follow" you. :)

Thanks so much to you and everybody here for their kind and understanding words!

andyguitar

"This member limits who can view their profile" and I don't see a PM button, though again, that could just be because I'm new, but I did find where I can "follow" you
If you hover your cursor over @Jennifer J avatar you should see "start conversation", click that and you can send a message to her. But you need to post about 10 times before you can do that (I think!)

Last edited: