• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV and herpes viruses suppressed by Spironolactone

Rrrr

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/03/09/1523686113

Spironolactone blocks Epstein–Barr virus production by inhibiting EBV SM protein function

Significance
Epstein–Barr virus is a human herpesvirus associated with several types of malignancy. We show that spironolactone, a drug used to block mineralocorticoid activity, also has anti-EBV activity and that it acts by inhibiting the function of an essential EBV protein SM, which preferentially increases expression of specific EBV genes. We also show that the mineralocorticoid blocking activity is not the basis for spironolactone’s antiviral activity. Because the SM protein acts at steps of the viral life cycle distinct from those targeted by currently available therapies, this study paves the way for development of novel anti-EBV drugs to address emerging problems of drug resistance and toxicity.

Abstract
Clinically available drugs active against Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) and other human herpesviruses are limited to those targeting viral DNA replication. To identify compounds directed against other steps in the viral life cycle, we searched for drugs active against the EBV SM protein, which is essential for infectious virus production. SM has a highly gene-specific mode of action and preferentially enhances expression of several late lytic cycle EBV genes. Here we demonstrate that spironolactone, a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist approved for clinical use, inhibits SM function and infectious EBV production. Expression of EBV viral capsid antigen is highly SM dependent, and spironolactone inhibits viral capsid antigen synthesis and capsid formation, blocking EBV virion production at a step subsequent to viral DNA replication. In addition, spironolactone inhibits expression of other SM-dependent genes necessary for infectious virion formation. We further demonstrate that molecules structurally related to spironolactone with similar antimineralocorticoid blocking activity do not inhibit EBV production. These findings pave the way for development of antiherpesvirus drugs with new mechanisms of action directed against SM and homologous essential proteins in other herpesviruses.

Can anyone access the full paper to tell us what DOSE of spironolactone is needed to suppress EBV? BTW, I was on this med for years, as it is prescribed for hairy women (that's me!) to lessen hair growth. It was safe and easy to take. I stopped a few years ago and I have gone downhill, I think. So I will re-start it soon, I hope.

Rrrr

http://www.medicaldaily.com/herpes-virus-epstein-barr-virus-mononucleosis-377867

"According to Swaminathan, in its current form, spironolactone is far too toxic to use for treating the herpes virus and its side effects range from compromising kidney function to increasing secretion of salt. However, the team is confident that they will be able to separate spironolactone’s heart failure properties from its antiviral properties, making it not only effective but also safe for use."

Tammy

I am beating the EBV with a protocol I've been on for almost 9 months. I am using herbal anti-virals along with other supplements. If you are interested in the supplements I am taking I would be happy to share. I am feeling better than I have in a very long time.

Hanna

I am beating the EBV with a protocol I've been on for almost 9 months. I am using herbal anti-virals along with other supplements. If you are interested in the supplements I am taking I would be happy to share. I am feeling better than I have in a very long time.
Would you please share your phyto protocol @Tammy ?
Thanks

Rrrr

@Tammy

As the person who started this thread, I think it would be great if you could add your EBV protocol to the thread.

Thanks!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Before anyone jumps on the spironolactone train, I want to share my experience with it. I asked my doctor if I could take it because I had read about a study where it was used to treat fibromyalgia:
http://www.scandinavianjournalpain.com/article/S1877-8860(14)00006-8/abstract

It didn't affect my fibromyalgia one bit, but it did help with lowering my BP, which I was already being treated for with atenolol, so subsequently, I was able to lower my atenolol dose.

My doctor checked my potassium levels several times because spironolactone leads to potassium retention. I was on a low dose of spironolactone, but even so, my potassium levels were on the high side, though never in a critical zone.

Spironolactone may also raise cortisol and HbA1c:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/733889_4
In this study, we demonstrated for the first time that treatment with spironolactone for 4 months increased plasma HbA1c levels and serum cortisol levels in patients with CHF, while treatment with eplerenone did not. Furthermore, Δincrease in plasma HbA1c levels was positively correlated with Δincrease in cortisol levels after treatment with spironolactone.

(CHF stands for chronic heart failure)

I had my a.m. serum cortisol checked (it was at the very top of normal range) and I did salivary cortisol tests on my own. My salivary a.m. cortisol was at the top of the range, noon was normal, 6 p.m. was high (WAY out of range) and midnight was normal.

Men cannot take spironolactone, except in emergencies, as it will lower testosterone. At least, that is my understanding.

Hip

In terms of how strong an antiviral spironolactone is against Epstein-Barr virus, the in vitro study on the antiviral effects found that the IC50 of spironolactone occurred at a concentration of 2.1 μM (IC50 is a way of measuring antiviral efficacy).

But this pharmacokinetic study found that in humans, an oral daily dose of 100 mg of spironolactone produced a peak blood plasma concentration of 80 ng/ml (= 0.19 μM), and short half-life of 1.4 hours. (Looking at spironolactone doses, 25 mg to 200 mg daily are typically used).

So 0.19 μM is the concentration of spironolactone in the blood after daily oral dosing of 100 mg daily.

But in the blood, spironolactone is around 90% bound to plasma proteins, and it is only the 10% free unbound spironolactone that has an active effect. The plasma concentration of free spironolactone is just 0.019 μM. This concentration is far too low to have a useful antiviral effect in the body, since the in vitro study found the IC50 antiviral concentration that we have to aim for is 2.1 μM.

So the bottom line is that when you take it orally, spironolactone is a weak EBV antiviral, and is not likely to be much help for EBV-associated ME/CFS.

EDIT: Notwithstanding, a study found spironolactone put some EBV ME/CFS patients into remission.

Last edited:

Tammy

@Tammy

As the person who started this thread, I think it would be great if you could add your EBV protocol to the thread.

Thanks!
I've been taking these supplements for the last 9 months and am getting my life back after 20 yrs of suffering.

Cats Claw liquid...........one of the strongest herbal anti-virals there is.
Licorice root liquid...........another good anti-viral........great for adrenals and kidneys
L-lysine...........taking 2,000 mgs 2x daily for the EBV
Ester C.......taking 2,000 mgs 2x daily
Liquid B12.......mixture of methyl and adeno.............critical for the CNS
concentrated zinc sulfate
Hawaiin Spirulina
Barley grass juice extract powder

I had to start out with very low doses of all the supplements and work my way up. I had some detox and did feel worse for a time..............I would adjust dosages accordingly as I don't feel like it is a good thing if the body is detoxing too much. I think the key to me getting better is that I have stuck with the protocol no matter what I felt. I almost stopped when I didn't feel like I was getting any better. Into my 5th-6th month is when I realized I the protocol was kicking into gear. Now after 9 months on............I definitely know that I am on the right path. I feel like I am back to the land of the living.

I also got more strict with my diet...........although I still have a hard time sticking to it.

Last edited: