• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is your normal temperature?

halcyon

Fluctuates between 98.6 and 101 daily, using an ear thermometer. Lately it hasn't been dropping below 99 very often.

I don't think there's much research on body temperature in ME. The ICC primer though says:

3. Loss of thermostatic stability: e.g. subnormal body temperature, marked diurnal fluctuations; sweating episodes, recurrent feelings of feverishness with or without low grade fever, cold extremities

I'm also 97.5F (36.4C) pretty much all the time.

Though that's from using a gun thermometer on my forehead. It's designed for use in an airport or similar for screening people who have cooties, and it starts beeping wildly if it detects a fever. That beeping scared the crap out of me the first time I hit 100F (38C) :p

A.B.

It always seems to be a little on the low side. 36.2 °C last time it was measured. But that could also be due to poor precision of the thermometer or me doing something wrong.

I do notice some fluctuations. I get warm quickly with exercise, and get uncomfortably cold afterwards.

Also, my clothes never seem right temperature wise. Either too cold, or too hot.

I don't have episodes of fever.

sarah darwins

I only recently started tracking my temperature. My readings are consistently between 35.8 - 36.1 C, but I've only used one thermometer (an Omron used in the armpit). I probably need to check it against a doctor's reading at some point.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
96.1 in the mornings (felt painfully cold).

Started synthroid, now 96.6 in the mornings (little pain / cold).

Old Bones

For the first 20 years with ME, my temperature was in a range from 98.9 to 101 F. Thereafter (post menopause), it switched from being a low-grade fever, to slightly sub-normal -- these days usually somewhere between 97 and 98. I'd already assumed a hormonal effect due to consistent monthly fluctuations over a period of two decades. The dramatic change after menopause seemed to confirm that belief.

JohnCB

Immoderate
I'm using an old clinical thermometer so it is in Fahrenheit rather than Celsius which is more common in these parts. It was bought when I set up home with my first wife all those years ago. Mostly I am a boring 98.4 to 98.6. There are times when I feel a little feverish without being ill (aprt from ME) in other ways and then it can be 98.8 to 99.2. According to ny converter 98.6 is 37.0degC

Gingergrrl

Has that been all your life or a recent development?

Neither! All my childhood I had tonsilitis and fevers and I had normal infections/fevers when I was sick through 2012. In 2012 when I got mono, I had a fever for over three weeks straight. However after my final infection in Jan 2013, I never got another fever and ran on the low side. Then it just stayed around 97.4 the last few years. I know it now runs low b/c of thyroid/Hashimoto's but I suspect also b/c I am on the autoimmune side in general. When it occasionally hits 98.0 or above, it is like a fever for me.

Richard7

I measured it 1st thing every day for several months last year and it varied from about 34.7 - 35.4 most mornings. This was under the armpit.

I understood that this was pretty normal for CFS: the doctor who asked me to do it was not surprised.

TigerLilea

I just took my temperature a few minutes ago and discovered it is 99 F which for me is high. I've had a cold the past few days but don't feel feverish at all. It normally is around 97.5 ish most days. According to one doctor I saw years ago everyone's normal is different. There is no exact number.

Mij

I measured it 1st thing every day for several months last year and it varied from about 34.7 - 35.4 most mornings. This was under the armpit.

I understood that this was pretty normal for CFS: the doctor who asked me to do it was not surprised.

The M.E doctor I saw many years ago told me the same thing.

My temperature drops the day after I overdo.