• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tests of blood-borne DNA pinpoint tissue damage

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
When diseases cause tissue damage DNA fragments are released into the bloodstream. When a disease primarily causes damage to a specific organ or cell (pancreatic cancer, pancreatic beta cells in diabetes, brain oligodendrocytes in MS or glial/neuronal death in traumatic brain injury) it may be possible to identify the 'unique signature' from a simple blood test.

It would be nice to apply this technology to ME/CFS although I suspect you would need to have a fair idea where where you should be looking :

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/tests-blood-borne-dna-pinpoint-tissue-damage

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
When diseases cause tissue damage DNA fragments are released into the bloodstream. When a disease primarily causes damage to a specific organ or cell (pancreatic cancer, pancreatic beta cells in diabetes, brain oligodendrocytes in MS or glial/neuronal death in traumatic brain injury) it may be possible to identify the 'unique signature' from a simple blood test.

It would be nice to apply this technology to ME/CFS although I suspect you would need to have a fair idea where where you should be looking :

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/tests-blood-borne-dna-pinpoint-tissue-damage
When Myhill tested me I had a VERY high cell free DNA - would this be related in any way?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Its part of the mito profile done through acumen. Just says 'Cell free DNA' its a blood test if that helps...

anciendaze

If you don't distinguish nuclear and mitochondrial DNA what you will get from a measurement of cell-free DNA could be almost entirely mitochondrial DNA. Mitochondria outnumber nuclei by factors of thousands. This seems a reasonable measure for a mitochondrial panel, but it won't identify specific tissues because every living human cell has mitochondria.

I'm also curious about the way they deal with viral DNA. Recall that at least 8% of human genomes are viral DNA.

Justin30

Maybe they could try the test on early diagnosed ME. See where the cells are sheading from then possibly look for early intervention strategies.

Just a thought. I think organ damage in ME comes about much later at least from what I have read.