• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SNPs screening test for Cfs/me

veganmua

Just read this article and wondered if anyone knew exactly what SNPs they are using to test for Cfs/Me. Are they in the results from genetic genie, or will I have to sift through my raw data?

alicec

SNPs they are using to test for Cfs/Me

There is a thread about the claims here. The press reports are very vague but it seems like they might be referring to a small study on SNPs in certain ion channels which is discussed in the thread. It is here (a very preliminary and flawed study).

Are they in the results from genetic genie, or will I have to sift through my raw data?

You will not find them among the very limited number of SNPs analysed by Genetic Genie.

23andme looks at two of three of the ion-channel protein SNPs which the study finds significant (rs11142508 and rs3763619) and 5 of the 8 mAChM3 SNPs (not ion-channels).

As discussed in the other thread, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for this test.

Sea

There is a thread about the claims here. The press reports are very vague but it seems like they might be referring to a small study on SNPs in certain ion channels which is discussed in the thread. It is here (a very preliminary and flawed study).
It's all very confused. Every press article I've read says something different about the test and the research it's based on.
The press article veganmua linked to says this: "Details of the research behind the test have been published in the Scandinavian Journal of Immunology. " which is actually a link to the NK cell study not a snp study.

As you said it's all very vague but I personally doubt that the test is based on their snp study. They are talking about using the test not only to diagnose but also to track progress. There just isn't enough info given yet to work out what their test is. Unfortunately I'm afraid it's more hype than substance.

alicec

I personally doubt that the test is based on their snp study.

One press report did specifically mention that the test is based on SNPs in ion channels, hence my conclusion that the small SNP study could be relevant.

There just isn't enough info given yet to work out what their test is. Unfortunately I'm afraid it's more hype than substance.

I agree entirely.

taniaaust1

There was something only about 2 weeks ago which made mainstream media here in Australia about the Griffith university researchers able to tell who has ME/CFS and who isnt by some genetic or dna test (I didnt hear it, a friend of mine who heard it on radio phoned me about it... I think it was based on gene mutations). These researchers now are trying to get funding to get this test out there and said it could be out there within 2 years.

My friend couldnt understand why I didnt get all excited when he told me what he heard but Im not getting my hopes up about a ME/CFS test too soon.