• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dizziness when rising... Is this normal?

Skippa

Anti-BS
Hi,

I'm getting "dizzy" (eyesight goes, head goes fuzzy, check out of reality for a few seconds, feel giddy and wobbly) EVERY time I rise from a position.

If I squat, and stand, it happens.

If I just bend forward to pick up the ball for my dog, it happens. Not even bent down for long.

Happens if I'm being sedentary OR if I'm out walking the pooch.

I've had this reasonably frequently for years, but lately it's happening ALL THE TIME.

Is this normal? Will an otherwise healthy norm report this level of symptom?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I have had this for the last 30 years, and I've only had ME for 2 years, so for the first 28 years I regarded it as a normal thing to happen to a person with low blood pressure. Having said that, it's occasional for me, for example after I've been sitting comfortably in a warm place for a while. Maybe it happens less now because I've just got used to standing up slowly. I haven't had it with the frequency that you describe, but your description of "dizzy" is exactly what happens to me when I do have it.

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
Hi,

I'm getting "dizzy" (eyesight goes, head goes fuzzy, check out of reality for a few seconds, feel giddy and wobbly) EVERY time I rise from a position.

If I squat, and stand, it happens.

If I just bend forward to pick up the ball for my dog, it happens. Not even bent down for long.

Happens if I'm being sedentary OR if I'm out walking the pooch.

I've had this reasonably frequently for years, but lately it's happening ALL THE TIME.

This happens to me also - every time I sit up or stand up. My docs refuse to treat it until I actually start passing out - which is ridiculous. I tried Florinef many years ago when I first got sick but it didn't do much for me. Wouldn't mind trying it again or other meds if I had a doc who would treat it - getting worse for me lately too.

jimells

It's "normal" for many ME patients who have orthostatic intolerance. It's not normal for healthy people, except maybe after hard physical exertion like swimming.

I was able to convince a doctor that I had a real problem by recording pulse and blood pressure while lying down and then while standing. When my symptoms are really bad my pulse can go from 60 supine to 100 on standing and 120 a few minutes later. It's hard to simply ignore numbers like that, even for a doctor.

Skippa

Anti-BS
It's "normal" for many ME patients who have orthostatic intolerance. It's not normal for healthy people, except maybe after hard physical exertion like swimming.

I was able to convince a doctor that I had a real problem by recording pulse and blood pressure while lying down and then while standing. When my symptoms are really bad my pulse can go from 60 supine to 100 on standing and 120 a few minutes later. It's hard to simply ignore numbers like that, even for a doctor.

Did getting it acknowledged by a doc actually lead to any treatment that worked?

jimells

Did getting it acknowledged by a doc actually lead to any treatment that worked?

Florinef helps some. Having an "official" diagnosis of POTS helps when I go to the Emergency Room and ask for a saline IV. Most doctors know nothing about POTS, which is actually helpful, because they don't believe it is psychological, unlike ME. If I can mention "POTS" and leave out "CFS", I get treated like a real patient.