• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NHS drug assessors also paid by drug companies

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Ministers launch urgent inquiry into NHS officials' second jobs at drugs firms

Government announces "urgent investigation" as Telegraph reveals how scores of officials involved in assessing which drugs are given to patients are also acting as paid consultants to pharmaceutical companies

By Edward Malnick, Lyndsey Telford, Luke Heighton and Claire Newell

6:31PM GMT 16 Feb 2016

Ministers have launched an urgent inquiry into the practice of NHS staff being paid by drugs companies, following a Telegraph investigation.

This newspaper has revealed that more than 130 NHS officials involved in assessing which drugs are given to patients are also acting as paid consultants to pharmaceutical companies.

Scores of health service staff, most of whom are managers or other senior officials, are receiving generous fees to sit on “advisory boards” for drugs firms whose products they are responsible for considering on behalf of the NHS.

Alistair Burt, the health minister, said: “These are very serious allegations – an urgent investigation is under way and action will be taken against any NHS staff attempting to influence purchasing decisions in return for payment, gifts or hospitality.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

taniaaust1

I wonder if they've made sure that the ones doing the investigations aren't linked to drug companies too in some ways. I think this issue is rife right through our whole systems. The big drug companies make sure they have people in high places.